Compaq Proliant 1600 problem

Thread: Compaq Proliant 1600 problem

Compaq Proliant 1600 problem

We are working on a compaq proliant 1600 server in our lab at school. It was working intill we moved it from its original place. (we were goin to put novell on it). The video doesn't work anymore and it won't even start up. We tried to put another video card in and still no results. If you have any clues to what is goin on here or input, feel free to reply.

U say it worked until you moved it.

Did it get bumped around?

When it won't boot up... do you mean it won't even turn on? Or, it won't find the OS?
    Do you get the POST/BIOS?

Maybe cables got knocked loose? Check your cables from each device to the MOBO and to the power supply. Maybe your MOBO got knocked loose? Try reseating it if applicable.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Also, are you sure the 2nd card you put in is a functional card?
    BoskKraken
    ----------------------
    AntiOnline Newbie

The card i put in was new, we tried different slots too. As for the OS, there was Novell and Dos on it. It would boot up but it would not run the post test nor would the 4 hard drives spin. Plus the moniter got no reponse from the computer so it was blank. When we were moving it, we didn't bump it around even though it was heavy as hell. Thanks

What OS do u use ?
    perhaps u can find the answer of ur trouble shoot at http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/r...roLiant%201600

When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

if the hard drives dont boot up and the moniter dosnt work I would say that somthing is wrong with all your connections open it up and make sure that nothing got unpluged. Dont know if thats it but its worth a shoot. Hope that you get it working.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    You are sure all your ram is properly seated? Check the second BIOS battery too, is it still at it place? Check all cabling and cards.

Can you run your compaq smart start disk or utilities?
    Perhaps one of your disks has a failure due to the move?
    Can you boot up with a spare hotplug HDD? How were they configed before? RAID 5 ?

I certainly recommend VictorKaum's advice..
    Reseat the RAM, also Power and data cables..
    Could someone be pulling a prank?.. could the CMOS Reset be enabled? that will stop ya dead..
    Is is possable that (assuming you disconnected cables b4 moving) all external cables are correctly reconnected? (Obvious I know.. but some times)
    There is a possability that the PSU may have 5h1t itself.. ie you may have a supply rail missing.. either 5V or 12v either of these will stop the HDD's from spinning and prevent POST.

not much help..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

normally if it turns on and you can hear fans but no post test, the memory got shook loose. do as everyone has said, make sure all the ram chips are in there right. good luck
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one