Cisco IOS Naming Conventions

Thread: Cisco IOS Naming Conventions

Cisco IOS Naming Conventions

Question:
    How do you properly name cisco IOS images?

Followup:
    I have been able to find the general syntax and such, but I have been unable to find any kind of list that explains the conventions to use for what different features of the router are. In searching for the answer to my question I have asked my CCNA instructor, Cisco Dealers, and I also spent several hours on the phone with Cisco Directly. Not to mention extensively searched their web site, and google searches.

I would be most grateful for any insights anyone has into another good place to look, something I may have overlooked, or the answer itself.
    BoskKraken
    ----------------------
    AntiOnline Newbie

Are you asking about the IOS image, or the your configuration files? If you're asking about the IOS image, then that's assigned by Cisco and should be documented. If you're asking about your config files, then that's a standard you set and follow on your own.

For my PIX configurations, I use:

pix-YYYYMMDD-FEAT1:FEAT2:...:FEATN.conf

...it gets lengthy, but it works!

-C

I was hoping to find a generic list for what you said cisco assigns. Because it seems to me like there should be some kind of list somewhere so that those of us that are learning or buy stuff off of ebay can figure out how to properly name the stuff. Well, anyway thanks for the help sodaphish
    BoskKraken
    ----------------------
    AntiOnline Newbie

I would have to question how extensive your google searches were.

After a simple search on google (Cisco IOS Naming Conventions was the search string). I came up with this page as the first result. http://www.bdsltd.co.uk/network/cisco/naming.htm

Hopefully this will help you with your search.....

Thanks! I really appreciate your help, I must have overlooked that site. I guess I should quit just picking my site off of what I think they have based off of the small description. I still wonder why that I couldn't find that off of cisco directly, oh well...I guess that discussion is for another place and time.
    BoskKraken
    ----------------------
    AntiOnline Newbie