WinXP Help

Thread: WinXP Help

WinXP Help

If you want to allow external computers to use a web server on a machine on your local network :

1. Ensure that ICS and ICF are enabled and working properly.
    2. On the ICF server, open the Connection Properties windows for the ICF-enabled
    3. Switch to the Advanced tab and click Settings.
    4. Go to the Services tab of the Advanced Settings window, check off the Web Server (HTTP)
    box and click Edit.
    5. In the Service Settings window, enter the name of your internal web server.

To Manually open port for Internet Connection in WinXP :

1. Click Start, and then click My Network Places.
    2. Under Network Tasks, click View Network Connections. (Or, you can right-click My Network
    Places on the desktop, and then click Properties.)
    3. Right-click the connection that you use for the Internet, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings.
    NOTE: If the Settings button is unavailable, ICF is not enabled on this connection and you
    do not have to open any ports (they are all already open).
    5. Click Add to open a new port.
    6. In the Description box, type a friendly name. For example, type File Sharing : Port 445.
    7. In the Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network box, type
    NOTE: You can specify the IP address of an internal computer; however, in most cases, you
    8. In the External port and Internal port boxes, type the port number. In most cases, this
    number is the same.
    9. Click either TCP or UDP, and then click OK.
    10.Repeat this process for each port to be opened.

To enable Internet Connection Firewall feature using the Network Setup Wizard:

1. Run the Network Setup Wizard. To access this wizard, point to Control Panel, double-click
    Network and Internet Connections, and then click Setup or change your home or small
    office network.
    2. The Internet Connection Firewall is enabled when you choose a configuration in the wizard
    that indicates that your computer is connected directly to the Internet.

To configure Internet Connection Firewall manually for a connection:

1. In Control Panel, double-click Networking and Internet Connections, and then click Network
    2. Right-click the connection on which you would like to enable ICF, and then click Properties.
    3. On the Advanced tab, click the box to select the option to Protect my computer or network.
    4. If you want to enable the use of some applications and services through the firewall, you
    need to enable them by clicking the Settings button, and then selecting the programs,
    protocols, and services to be enabled for the ICF configuration.

To enable security logging options :

1. Open Network Connections
    2. Click the connection on which Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) is enabled, and then,
    under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
    3. On the Advanced tab, click Settings.
    4. On the Security Logging tab, under Logging Options, select one or both of the following

Note :

1. To open Network Connections, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet
    Connections, and then click Network Connections.
    2. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in
    order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network
    policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
    3. Internet Connection Sharing, Internet Connection Firewall, Discovery and Control, and
    Network Bridge are not available on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition.
    When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Eh Msmittens, no reply or anything! Just the brutal truth, thats cool thats always funny.

Looks like someone plagerized.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Here's the thing: the sources could be helpful for someone if they want more information (as they are far more detailed than just what is presented).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

central il
    MsMittens you are having way too much fun with the plagiarists.

once again people please give me the sources ...this one came from MS but occasionally you grab it from a site that I, or other members of the community, don't know about yet.

On another note...who the hell would rely on ICF and ICS for sharing/security...that just gives me shudders thinking about it..hell MS doesn’t even use ICF its junk.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Agreed, I'd junk ICF/ICS and do the following instead:

1: get a router and configure that accordingly
    2: get a third-party tested/tried/true firewall for all workstations connected to the router
    3: standard anti-virus updated weekly and full scans done weekly including compressed, files with no extension, etc... (I use Panda Antivirus
    4: go to and check out XPDite and Unplug-N-Pray

Just my opinion. MS hasn't gone the distance to really prove to me that security and privacy is their first intention (as they stated). There's a lot of work going into the whole 'securing a box' and as the "Unix System Administrator's Handbook" states, security = 1 / convenience. MS has done a good job with XP overall (best win platform so far for me) on the whole crash issue is concerned but they still have a long way to go.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.