Thread: Phone modem

Phone modem

There used to be a box with a receiver that you could put any phone on and it would act like a modem. Does anyone remember the name of this box and if they are still available?

all i can think of is BBS and thats proly wrong...or get out a comp history book.

I know what your talking about but i cannot think of the name now. i doubt they make external modems like that anymore... i think they only got up to like 4 kbps or something really low like that.
    Squirrels have bushy tails
    I cut them off, then I laugh.
    That squirrel has no tail.

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...87,pg,4,00.asp

I hope this link will at least give you a lead on what you are looking for
    BoskKraken
    ----------------------
    AntiOnline Newbie

it's a regular modem (if i'm thinkn' about what yer thinkn' about?)

some older modems (i used to have one, 900 baud, lol) had couplings
    to fit over the standard phone reciever, (ie- fits over most payphones)...
    is this what you are talking about?

/edit ->
    http://www.fairradio.com/bz-277a.jpg
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

you are talking about a analog modem I think. It was a box that plugged into your computer and had a cradle for your phone. The only reason these things existed is because Ma Bell was a monopoly and refused to allow anything to plug directly into the phone line, it was a workaround. Unless you collect old junk (like me I have three of these things) systems you don't want one of these, 300 baud is the best connection you can get with it (Much slower then a 28.8 modem...a factor of ~1000 slower).

The link I posted said you can get up to 28.8 on the newer ones
    BoskKraken
    ----------------------
    AntiOnline Newbie

Originally posted here by BoskKraken
    The link I posted said you can get up to 28.8 on the newer ones
    Just read the link I stand corrected...on the other hand 28.8 is still stupid slow.

I think we're talking about two different things interchangablly. An analog modem was a device that connected to a computer via serial or parallel ports. It was complete in itself, you didn't need a modem because it was one. A coupler is a device for connecting a modem modem to a payphone or any old house phone. It had an RJ-11 (standard phone plug) connector on one end, that connected to your modem. The other end was a speaker/microphone combo. The two devices are similar, and essencially do the same thing. BTW, Matthew Brodrick used an analog modem in Wargames, and Matthew Lillard (Cereal Killer) used couplers on the payphones in Grand Central Station in the ever-so accurate movie, Hackers.
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates

Thumbs up Thank You!

Thanx 4 the information. Sometimes when I travel the only thing I can get to work is a pay phone. Also thanx for reminding me I am "old school". Ouch!