desktop.ini
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: desktop.ini

desktop.ini

hi guys.. i have a problem with my pc.....
    my pc already infect by virus and i don't know how to remove.....
    i already use anti virus but it's cannot be detect
    my virus using notepad and used name desktop.ini
    and that notepad had everywhere in my computer.....
    how to remove.......
    HELP
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=213
    All be clear, All be fine, Knowledge is first

OKay, aparantly, your english isnt that good. but lets see if i can translate to help others understand.

He has a problem with his PC
    It has an antivirus program but it cant detect the supposed virus
    he doesnt know how to remove it any other way.

but what he means by the notepad and desktop.ini remark i have no idea.

dektop.ini *in theory* is in every folder in windows. so it could be any number of those. and maybe by notepad he means thats what ius being used to open desktop.ini etc.

well, try updating you AV and look for online scanners. other than that most people on AO can help cause i cant remeber any of the sites for online scanners.

-cheers
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

That is a link to trendmicro's online virus scanner.

I have used it before on a client's PC.

I've always been weary about stuff like this though... cause you are giving them access to scan, analyze and modify (if virus is found) files on your computer.

What is stopping them from finding something of interest... and xfering it to them while they are providing you with a free* service?

There, you see what this site does to people?! It makes them parinoid! At least me, anyways...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

i mean virus created by notepad. the virus using desktop.ini as a title or name
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=213
    All be clear, All be fine, Knowledge is first

um, you will find that almost anything, including any programming language and virii and all sorts can be written with notepad. its sort of a generic everything. the only problem with notepad when writting code is that you need to know what you are doing, if you used a program to write the selected code, it would be easier as it might repair itself and offer solutions to problems.
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Do like Phishphreek says and go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ I've used them a few times before, and have alway's been happy with the performance. Once there, scan, and report back to us what it found. Maybe we can help prevent further infections.

Good luck to ya.
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

the desktop.ini file is on everyone's XP desktop, it's a super hidden file, to make it viewable you have to access folder options in control panel and select view all files ****including system files******
    Tha all mity Rodent!

continuing on with what Chinchilla06 said, it's entirely possible that he just enabled it to show all files, even the hidden system ones. this might have been interpreted as a virus, because those files weren't there before, and they're all over the place
    i will shoot you so hard.

I'd doubt that a virus scanner that doesn't check hidden files would be next to useless.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Originally posted here by cwk9
    I'd doubt that a virus scanner that doesn't check hidden files would be next to useless.
    if you're referring to my post, i didn't mean to say that the hidden files might have viruses. i meant that mabye pete_black thinks that the desktop.ini files are the virus because he had just recently set his folder options to show all hidden and system files.
    i will shoot you so hard.