Thread: System Issues with Agnitum Outpost

System Issues with Agnitum Outpost

After reading alot of threads on here, I decided to give outpost a test spin. It seems like a well put together package, with support for added coding, and a good interface. However,
    After restarting the computer I have noticed that outpost is hoggin about 50% of my computer all the time, thats all the time. I am wondering if anyone else has experience with outpost and this processing issue.

I got a 800 mghz processor and my slow down isn't that bad, maybe Outpost is getting overwhelmed by your startup? Check msconfig and see how many procs are set to start up when you boot windows.

Have you tried looking at your blocked /allowed connections? I would be really curious to know if it is hogging CPU because it is constantly blocking something...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Sounds like you have many outgoing apps being blocked. Without even seeing your box.... that sounds like the issue. COuld you give some more insight as to what you're starting up, etc. etc. etc. Is this the only firewall you have running, etc. etc Any other possibly useful info.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Thank you for the responses.
    Unfortunately I did check my outgoing blocking, and I have only a few programs there and very little being blocked.

Picture of Outpost:

Picture of Task Manager:

as far as starting up on my system, this is basically my "research" lab, I develop online applications and it runs Mysql,SQL Server, Java, IIS, mail server, ftp server, one bot, trillian, and alot more. However, the amount or the app. themselves have never been an issue. I had ZoneAlarm installed previously and it did not hog the system this way.

Well, outpost is much more granular and has many more features over the regular zonealarm; however, looking at the very little that I could see out of that picture, it looks like DNS discovery is being blocked and maybe even ICMP, hard to really tell what that is, but the DNS thing you need to look at, I have seen Win2k do really weird things after outpost blocks it (think it was the way I set up my application permissions for services.exe)

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

Thanks for hearing me out nebulus, but hear me out.

I reinstalled it , set it to allow most.
    So basically its letting everything that I don't disallow through.

Then I :
    - I allowed netbios ( i have it disabled in win2k anyways), and all ICMP connections.
    - I also stopped all secondary (plugins) services in Outpost
    - In global settings I disabled any option to deny\block a connection, and allowed everything to come in\go out.
    - Finally I switched over the program to disable mode, which basically disables the firewall and leaves it open but not monitoring anything, and its still hogging the CPU!

There is nothing left to configure or play with, everything has been

933 Mhz Pentium, so I dont know.
    It's not a blocking issue, its the firewall.
    End of Story, it's hogging my cpu by doing absolutely nothing.

Got this off of the Outpost FAQ :

Excessive memory and (or) CPU consumption when many connections are established or after hours of intensive data exchange.

Workaround (possible): Turn off all logs under My Internet as well as the Allowed and Blocked logs.

Status: It will be fixed in 2.0 (with the implementation of a new logging system and optimization of My Internet tree).

I have about 19 connections. Maybe that is a bit much, but then this product is obviously not ready for primetime.

Thanks for the update, I do recall seeing the FAQ on that problem, but in my experience, the problems with CPU turned out to mostly be a result of a configuration/blocking issue, so that is where I concentrated first. Sometimes it was involved with two firewalls fighting each other (which isn't always obvious, for example, many VPN clients come with builtin firewalls, some that aren't really documented that well (the cisco one bit me for a little while)).

Kinda strange, I have been using outpost for a while now in 98SE/2000/2000 Server/XP with no issues and at times have had quite a few network connections. Not sure why it is an issue for you now.

/nebulus