Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm Quitting at Night

ZoneAlarm Quitting at Night

On my computer here at home I have been having some troubles over the past couple of days with ZoneAlarm. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. Over the night, ZoneAlarm quits for no reason and then I get a million of those pop-up spam messages. Has anyone had this problem? I am using Zone Alarm Free on a Windows 2000 SP3 box.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I was just reading an article on Wired regarding spyware.

The most worrisome of the recent releases is ClientMan, an application that appears to be able to change settings on older versions of the popular free ZoneAlarm firewall program without user consent.

When ClientMan tries to connect to the Internet, ZoneAlarm flashes a warning and asks the user to confirm whether the program should be allowed to connect or not.

Instead of waiting for user approval, ClientMan clicks the Yes button and checks the Always checkbox. Now ClientMan has permission to access the network whenever it chooses.
    Now, I am not sure it's related to your problem, but you might want to give it a look.

Full story HERE

Cheers:
    DjM

hmmm... I will run a Spyware search (With Spybot Search and Destroy). I had not seen that Wired article.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Ad-Aware will remove all your ads and spyware. The only problem is that some programs like kazaa require that the spyware still be on the machine for it to work. But the good thing about Ad-Aware is that you can backup those files, then when you want to use kazaa restore its adware or just leve it on

There was a disscuession at one point about zone alarm falling over if it got too many rapid hits. Perhaps this is whats happening?

Try Spy Sweeper from webroot.. it is good, my box running Win2k with SP3 either and i use Zone Alarm Pro, everytime i finish or before i connect to the internet.. i sweep my HDDby Spy Sweeper.
    You can visit here ...
    http://www.webroot.com/wb/downloads/index.php
    http://www.5star-shareware.com/Utili...-download.html
    http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10192730.html
    http://www.fileheaven.com/Spy-Sweeper/download/3475.htm
    When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    What is the most current version of Zone Alarm Pro? I am running version 2.6.369 and I have had it shut down for no apparent reason as well. I guess its time I get a more up to date version.

It will run for days and days and then suddenly I'll look at the systray and the icon will be gone. I start it back up and it works just fine. I have never had any indication why it just shuts down like that.

At one point I had x random torjin on my game box that keept shuting down zone alarms and my antivirus program. it was hitting some odd port with "i'm here" packets that died horrably at my real firewall...this may be whats happening

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I just downloaded and installed Zone Alarm Pro 3.7.159 which is significantly more up to date than what I was running. We'll see if I continue to notice it shutting down or not.

Originally posted here by tonybradley
    I just downloaded and installed Zone Alarm Pro 3.7.159 which is significantly more up to date than what I was running. We'll see if I continue to notice it shutting down or not.
    I did not have any problems with Zone Alarm until I updated to the latest version. I was one release below 3.7.159 and I upgraded and then started recieving the problem. The only thing is, there is no message that tells you it is shutting down and nothing in the event log except a log stating that the program was shut down. I posted in the Zone Labs forums, so maybe I will recieve a responce from one of their techs.