Networking Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking Question

Networking Question

I have a friend that is running a program called SETI. He has a total of five computers and a dialup connection. What he wants to do is have all of the computers to be able to share one connection.

If we used something like the ICS in Windows what else will we need to make it work?

Also if anybody knows of anything else that would be about the same as ICS I might look into that also.
    =

If you are familiar with Linux it also has an ICS(ok its just NAT but they call it ICS...just like MS is just NAT) , or you can look into hardware routers, I have an old Pipeline that has a 56k backup to its ISDN connection for dial on demand.

You may also want to look into caching proxy servers, there is one from 602 software and one called Wingate these will give you a little faster web site load time.

I seems like overkill for a dial up and I think you will be *very* unhappy with the results of shoving 5 PC's over one dial up line...it will be extremely slow.

I seems like overkill for a dial up and I think you will be *very* unhappy with the results of shoving 5 PC's over one dial up line...it will be extremely slow.
    Thats to say the least...

Here is a site that has a pretty good walkthrough whether you are on dial up or broadband.
    Just follow the links that correspond to your setup.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks for the help. We can't get any high speed internet for our area because we are to far form any towns. I was gonna help him set up is computers to all share a connection and was wanting to see if I was missing anything or if there was anything else that I could use.
    =

I've decided that I'm gonna use Windows Internet Connection sharing tool. Will I be able to use a switch, or hub to allow the other computers to connect to the internet or will I Need to get a router.?
    =

if your using ICS all you will need is a switch or hub. for five computers on dialup id probably reccomend a switch as they tend to go a little faster.

As mentioned above though, i wouldnt reccomend having all 5 computers utilising the connection at once..

LOL. Yeah its gonna be a bit slow, but nobody is gonna be using the computers. There gonna be for that program. Thanks for the help.
    =

cheyenne, just as a thought you might want to give AnalogX Proxy a go, it's actually quite nice and I find it works tons better than ICS

http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

yeah that proxy is pretty nice but everytime I go to hotmail and sign in The proxy crashed. It gave me Illegal Operations. Maybe it doesn't handle that kind of protocols. If you have sites or other free proxy servers I would like to try those out to.

Hers the log file. This is it after it preformed the illegal operaition. Nothing looked funny in it to me but maybe you can see something in it.

4/16/2003 14:24:57.170: Proxy Server (v4.13 - Release) Starting with Services (0xFFFFFFC3)
    04/16/2003 14:24:57.340: SOCKS listen started (1080)
    04/16/2003 14:24:57.340: HTTP listen started (6588)
    04/16/2003 14:25:00.030: Proxy Server Stopping with Services (0xFFFFFFC3)
    04/16/2003 14:25:00.080: Proxy HTTP listen shutdown requested
    04/16/2003 14:25:00.080: HTTP closing threads... (0)
    04/16/2003 14:25:00.080: HTTP listen stopped
    04/16/2003 14:25:00.080: SOCKS listen shutdown requested
    04/16/2003 14:25:00.080: SOCKS closing threads... (0)
    04/16/2003 14:25:00.080: SOCKS listen stopped

Thanks

=

AS for the slow dialup..I am amzed none of the ISp's in your area are offering line of site wireless..its the rage in small towns near me (low start up costs and easy to get running) another option would be the new two way satilite.