Networking Windows NT4 machines on a 2000 server network

Thread: Networking Windows NT4 machines on a 2000 server network

Networking Windows NT4 machines on a 2000 server network

Is it possible to network Windows NT4 terminals onto a Windows 2000 server network?? The 2000 polices overwrite the policies on the NT4 terminals. Upgrading the terminals to 2000 is an option but a very expensive one.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    You\'re only jealous coz the voices talk to me and not you!!!!

The Iceman Cometh
    I have had absolutely no problems with NT terminals on a Windows 2000-based network. There are some steps you need to take, however, including downloading the Active Directory add-on for NT, which allows you to utilize the your Active Directory structure for your NT boxes. There's tons of information in the Microsoft Knowledgebase about using NT machines on a 2000 network. Do some searching there and you should find everything you need.

AJ

RE: Reply

Thanks heaps for your reply and I will look into the Knowledge base for more information.
    You\'re only jealous coz the voices talk to me and not you!!!!

i have seen several nt boxes added onto a 2k network. adven is correct about using ADS, but (this i just the way i saw it done) it's best to use the domain's security options instead of NT 4's. ... ie have each user log into the network instead of the machine.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

I agree with Adven, the only times I've seen problems with NT 4.0 on a win2k network is name resolution. As long as Wins and DNS are configured properly all seems to work well in that environment. I wonder if the active directory add on would allow the removal of netbios on that network and allow the NT 4.0 pc's to use DDNS... hmm

The other option on this is on the domain controller side. setit up in mixed mode so it emulates a NT 4 PDC. This will allow for NT4 clients without haveing to messaround with AD for NT4