Computer Law Research

Thread: Computer Law Research

Post Computer Law Research

I am conducting some research in business law and just wanted to get some opinions as to what you think would be some interesting topics to conduct more detailed research in computer/e-commerce law? I will post anything that is interesting based on my research. Thanks much!
    \"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?\"
    -Juvenal

The Iceman Cometh
    What kind of law do you want to get into? I mean, you can cover topics ranging from the legalities of P2P-based networks, to laws such as the Patroit Act, if you're interested in security. If you don't know where you want to start, do some research and get a hold of copies of the DMCA, Patriot Act, and the few others computer-related laws that were passed. They're interesting reads (if you're interested in law, that is), and it'll give you an idea of areas you may want to focus on.

AJ

An interesting message thread on computers/business law can be found at slashdot.org under "Blackboard Campus ID- Security through Cease & Desist".

Blackboard/Interz0ne

Links to the online version of Blackboard's Temporary Restraining Order and poorly drafted Complaint are there, as will as information on similar actions.

Thanks much for the info. The book we are studying is about 3" thick of business law, and we are to pick a topic we and our employere "are interested in". I was thinking about Cyberlaw or E-Commerce, but I would need to focus down quite a bit as this paper is to be only a max of 10 pages.

Thanks again and I am now following up on what you gave me!

-Juvenal

Greetings again-

I am working on researching Cyberlaw - specifically any Federal or State regulations about dealing with hacking. I am off to start tracking through a few more sites I have, but any laws anyone has heard of that have been passed that you can share would be great. Once I am done, I will post my findings in the appropriate forum.

Thanks much again!
    -Juvenal

look up the computer fraud and abuse act of .... i don't remember the year....

this is what one google search lead me to.

http://floridalawfirm.com/fraud.html

pretty interesting stuff.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

Thanks again for the help.

As I stated before, I will post what I have found from the research:

Links

Federal Government:

United States Code - via US Congress

Sec. 1030. Fraud and related activity in connection with computers (Yes - it's a repeat from sickyourIT)

cybercrime.gov: Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section (CCIPS)

Private/Public Sector:

TLC Special - Hackers: Outlaws & Angels (Interesting)

More to follow as I progress.
    -Juvenal

More links!

Ok - I finished the paper, but there was so much information, I had to cut a lot just to keep it within 10 pages. I was working on it til class started, just because of the information overload I had. Why I am telling you? Because it took a lot out of me, and I have another class in the bag, closer to my Masters... and now I am half-nuts.

Ok#2 - I will wait to see the grade of the paper before editing the information and posting it here. What I will do it post more of the links I have found. A word to the wise, many believe the laws are antiquated and lacking substance. I would agree with you up until the fatal year of 1986. Now the government(s) are catching up. They most likely would not catch the Ubers, but whomever they do catch is in for a world of hurt.

Anywho:

Links2

Federal Government:

Electronic Crimes Task Force (Secret Service)

InfraGard (Cooperative of FBI and Businesses)

NARA (National Archives and Records Administration) Why? Because of the Bill of Rights and the 4th Amendment as it pertains to Search & Seizure

Private/Public Sector:

EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) Just in case you don't already have it.
    -Juvenal

2600 had a recent article about the major governing computer/communications laws DMCA, USAPATRIOT, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, etc. (Winter 2002 issue)