Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardware Firewall

Originally posted here by iNViCTuS

I would also like some information on this, and am also curious how many connections it can support. How much memory does it require?
    Go here
    http://www.freesco.org/

We use these firewalls in a public library setting. Each library branch has a different amount of users connected through it. All of our public access workstations are behind this firewall. The main library has over 60 computers connected to it, and we have had no problems. HTH

Originally posted here by bballad

Take note that Cisco and Nokia firewalls both run Unix underneath so they are basicly a cheap PC running IPchains with a new front end (ok a prepritory version of IPchains but the functionality is the same). If you get a cheap PC slap linux on it and remove all other serivices besides what is absolutly needed for IPchains you have a PIX at 1/10 of the cost.
    A PIX is not a Unix based firewall. It is a proprietary device that has a command set that is not even remotely close to a unix box. Now sure, you could make the argument that some ideas for the PIX may have originally been based on concepts of Unix, because what OS doesn't have some Unix characteristics, but again...it is NOT Unix, and especially NOT IPChains.

You are a little more accurate on the Checkpoint statement, because yes, Nokia devices are Unix based. Keep in mind however that Checkpoint can also run on Windows (for those dumb enough to do it).

Originally posted here by David Anasco

Go here
    http://www.freesco.org/

We use these firewalls in a public library setting. Each library branch has a different amount of users connected through it. All of our public access workstations are behind this firewall. The main library has over 60 computers connected to it, and we have had no problems. HTH
    This looks to me like a router, not a firewall???

quote:
    Originally posted here by bballad
    Take note that Cisco and Nokia firewalls both run Unix underneath so they are basicly a cheap PC running IPchains with a new front end (ok a prepritory version of IPchains but the functionality is the same). If you get a cheap PC slap linux on it and remove all other serivices besides what is absolutly needed for IPchains you have a PIX at 1/10 of the cost.

The Nokia OS is a proprietary one developed by Ipsolon Systems but loosely based on BSD Unix.
    Nokia's are not an ipchains based firewall, they are merely a hardware appliance that amongst other things has CheckPoint FireWall installed on it.
    CheckPoint is and always has been a stateful inspection firewall and as far as I know, until later versions, ipchains is not .

Cisco PIX does not run Unix underneath. As iNViCTuS says, there are similarities with Unix, but then what OS does not. Even DOS.
    PIX's don't even run the same IOS as their range of switches and routers, as they were developed by another company (which I think Cisco bought).

At the end of the day, most enterprise firewalls are very similar. There is only so much reinventing you can do.

Just stay away from anything created by 2wire.

I downloaded one from www.linxorbit.net, smoothwall. set it up on and old Compaq deskpro 4000 w/ p-133/128mb ram 2 gig HD and built in compaq NIC and a Intel 10/100 pro . Re built the machine in an hour. Download and burned the smooth wall in 30min and installed and configured it. Connected it to a broad band router . Running it head less for the past 3 months. Easy to use and configure. have 3 Linux machines behinds it and some time a windoze XP . works very well. I've done this 4 different times with Compaq deskpro 4000's. Easy to do and works very well.
    Rocko the Clown