Thread: linux question

linux question

hey ummm, how do i know if i can boot from a cd on a completley formatted computer??? where can i get the boot DISK (not CD) images for RH8?
    thanx

okay come to think of it i need to find a place to down load linux redhat disk images that wont take extreeeemly long. please let me know...
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975

how do i know if i can boot from a cd on a completley formatted computer?
    Booting from CD is a function of your computer's BIOS, not how your hard drive is set up. When you turn your computer on, you can usually hit <del> (or F1 or some such thing.... look for the message) to enter your BIOS setup. Look for the boot sequence setting and see if your computer supports CD-ROM booting.

where can i get the boot DISK (not CD) images for RH8?
    You should be aware that 8.0 is not the newest version, but if for some reason that's what you want...

ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/...os/i386/images

i need to find a place to down load linux redhat disk images that wont take extreeeemly long
    I assume you mean CD images, and not floppy images.

ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/....0/en/iso/i386

If that server is busy (which it often is), you can find a list of mirrors at http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

oh well i didn't know where i could find out where i could download 9....

if 9 is just as free... can i download that there too?
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975

quick easy answer, there all free in one way or another.