Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antipoints

An Example

Not to be bad to whoever it was

I assigned a web site url in the tutorials forum (tutorials web site)

I was negged by jinx (40 odd points) for putting it in the wrong place (fair)

Then I posted a comment saying I didn't know where to put it and saying that we didn't have a suggested url section. I had every intention of moving this post by my self.

40 more negative points by don't know who comment (being Perky ?)

I mean *** off it 40 negs for that.

on a further note. i always thought there should be a grey area. have positive and negative and then a third option that doesnt do jack. at least you can still send them your little message without posting it and making a useless thread?? maybe that would be a better option

yes, but the person who is assigning them doesnt have control on how bad/good effect it has. so its not a personal grudge. more to the fact that they have more AP's cause of the posts they have done and what to community thinks of them, and thats like owning shares in a company. the more you have the more control you have. in this case, he has heaps of greenies on his side and therefore has a bigger hammer than you.
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

The Power of The Punch

The more anti points a person has the more you lose when they negg you so I would expect that these people would be a little wiser with there points allocation than to negg me for peing "perky"

Maybee if people were a little more helpfull and made suggestions rather than criticisms then we would all get on better and there wouldn't be so many heated rivelries on the system

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Trust_Not_123
    the more you have the more control you have. in this case, he has heaps of greenies on his side and therefore has a bigger hammer than you.
    This last point is one that I've really had issue with and have mentioned to JM about. I don't give out APs (neg or pos) that much any more unless it's really necessary. I think there are quite a few others who are the same. One of the reasons is that the "hammer" is so big it's unwieldy. I've suggested that there should be an ability to "slide" the amount of points (say from a few to the whole "hammer" as it were). It's really easy, with a couple of high APers, to knock/ban someone right away for making a single bad post (if done intentionally, accidentally or just ignorantly).

Another option is to -- rather than ban the person -- have a flag go up where a moderator is notified and the moderator can talk to the individual and perhaps reset them to an appropriate level to try again. Some people, who might become a good part of this community, are scared off/chased off when banned for simple mistakes.

As for number of posts, that has nothing to do with the # of APs. The only status thing that comes out of it is the Addicts forum. Those that just post for the sake of posting ("oh ya I agree with you" "oh great post") don't usually stay that long. Short attention spans if that is all they post.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    i always thought there should be a grey area. have positive and negative and then a third option that doesnt do jack
    I ABSOLUTELY second that motion!

There have been plenty of times I wanted to comment- either good or bad- without giving out antipoints. Especially if I just want to let someone know that perhaps it wasn't the right forum to post in.

The example that started this thread is a prime example. I wanted to let mark_boyle2002 know that maybe it should be in another forum. I didn't want to neg him and I didn't want to post a meaningless post (mark_boyle2002's other issue).

I could PrivateMessage him if he has that option enabled. But, it would be nice if there was a Neutral option where you could respond on the Antipoints system without doling out points.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    As a final note, this is not a security question and thus this is being moved towards Site Suggestions.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens

I've suggested that there should be an ability to "slide" the amount of points (say from a few to the whole "hammer" as it were).
    I think that could be implemented easily enough by adding a drop-down % box to the asign AP box..
    say 10, 25, 50, 75, 100 % hit-power !

If I had that I would have given Mark the 10% for his (multiple) posts in tutorials..

B.T.W. I also posted a reply with a QUOTE for the TUTORIALS README..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !