Virus Infection

Thread: Virus Infection

Question Virus Infection

Hi all, I have a buddy that seems to be having a wee problem with a suspected virus. The only information I got from him was a file called lknq.exe. Now I have checked the usual sites, Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, Datafellows...etc and have come up blank. A google search produced a few forum listings talking about a new virus which contained this file, but no name was given to it.
    Has anyone run across this virus before, if so, where can I dig up some info. on it.

Thanks
    Cheers:
    DjM

I just found the same file on my network and submited it to Mcafe...it looks like we are both victems of a new virus. If you fell upto it do what I'm doing, go throught the files with ultra edit, spy++ and a debugger to see what its doing and what it has infected.

Originally posted here by bballad
    I just found the same file on my network and submited it to Mcafe...it looks like we are both victems of a new virus. If you fell upto it do what I'm doing, go throught the files with ultra edit, spy++ and a debugger to see what its doing and what it has infected.
    Thanks bballad, I can't check the network like your doing because it's not my network, my buddy works there and at this point they seem to busy put things back together. Here are some other files you might want to look for:

cbnegs.exe
    Winlogon .exe -> note the space between the n and the dot.
    sjhdyl.exe
    kbld.exe
    duckduck.exe
    explorer .exe -> note the space between the r and the dot.
    ~xxxxx -> not sure what the heck this is, but it's suppose to be related.
    oocfwm.exe
    gwigsb.exe
    jkexnj.exe
    lknq.exe
    kjnj.exe

Let me know if McAfee gets back to you with any info.

Good Luck.
    DjM

I will start searching for those files, hopefuly Mcafee will move on this quickly, I have also sent a copy to Datafellows and Symantic...one of the AV companies should have a fix soon they useualy work quickly on htis stuff

Personally both Mcafee and Norton are the best popular antivirus softwares but i have found quite a handful of viruses which they cannot detect it at all.I recommend you guys to try other antivirus software like Kaspersky,RAV,F-prot,etc which are so much better than Norton or Mcafee.In fact,my Kaspersky save lot of times on viruses which newly release.