Thread: DoS using USPS

DoS using USPS

I read an interesting paper the other day and haven't seen it posted here yet...

I got a kick out of it... We used to do this to a couple of our boys when I was at the University. Just not on a scale like this... What will they think of next?

Automated Denial-of-Service Attack Using the U.S. Post Office

In December 2002, the notorious "spam king" Alan Ralsky gave an interview. Aside from his usual comments that antagonized spam-hating e-mail users, he mentioned his new home in West Bloomfield, Michigan. The interview was posted on Slashdot, and some enterprising reader found his address in some database. Egging each other on, the Slashdot readership subscribed him to thousands of catalogs, mailing lists, information requests, etc. The results were devastating: within weeks he was getting hundreds of pounds of junk mail per day and was unable to find his real mail amongst the deluge.

Ironic, definitely. But more interesting is the related paper by security researchers Simon Byers, Avi Rubin and Dave Kormann, who have demonstrated how to automate this attack.
    Read the rest here.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Beautiful...

This example explains 100% why you should NEVER open your mouth to the public, if your business is makeing people deal with crap they don't want.
    Free Speach is nothing but a giant noose. If you are dumb enough to stick your neck into it, then you had better be prepared for someone else to choke your mouth shut.

What goes around comes around, eh?

i read several articles on this guy, and this incident in particular, and if you keep clicking links to other pages, you'll eventually find the article that has his address on it.

I can't help but wonder if THAT is legal.

i do find this hilarious, though. a terrible waste of resources, and screwing up shipping and mail for anyone near where he lives...
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

THAT is perfectly legal...it constitutes public information by proxy. You didn't dig for it, you just stumbled across it. The legality issues come to the organization/person that published it. It's open season here, unless someone specifically targets 'x' using illegally obtained information with the intent to defame or impede.
    So, give the addy, but don't encourage any action and don't pursue any action yourself.

F**king lawyers!

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor