Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help With Home Network!!!

make sure that you don't have personal firewalls set up on either computer. (zone alarm, norton personal firewall, etc.) even the built in windows firewall can mess with that .....START>CONTROL PANEL>NETWORK CONNECTIONS>LOCAL CONNECTION(or whatever you named it)>pROPERTIES>ADVANCED.

you may or may not be able to use the firewall and have the two computers still play nice, just by enabling the other computer to be able to cross the firewall....

hope it helps.

.... another note! even if you have zone alarm disabled, it'll still screw up your networking.. you have to uninstall it altogether, or make provisions for it to allow your other comp to work.

adios
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

Dead Man Walking
    have u gone through the routers internal setup? My router (siemens not netgear) has an ip addy in the book that you type into a webborowser and when u do all sortsa of config options come up. Maybe net gear does the same way i dunno worht looking into

I have a lrp box (linux router project) and i have no problems. But a while ago I had the same problem. And i have simply used the wizerd networkconnections in win xp and my problem whas over.

And check if you don't use crossed cables !
    Bill has the key to the \'blue\' screen
    by tux

What model netgear is it?

Try going to http://192.168.0.1. If it gets you a login prompt its "admin" and the pass is "1234" (you'll DEFINATLY want to change that)

Once in there you should see a bunch of config options. play with those and get back to us.

edit,
    I just thought of somethings, it may work, it may not. Maybe you could set the computers to have static routes to each other during your gameplay. Have one computer set as the gateway, and one computer set as the destination. Any of you more advanced AO'ers wanna take a stap at that one?

Two computers networked via router...

hmmm.... just had an Idea, not sure if youve got it working yet, so I thought I would post this:
    (It might work and it might not, just trying an Idea)

Plug in one computer on one side of the router and the other on the end that would plug into the wall. (The second would need a crossver cable...I think)

It would be like hooking two routers together to connect two networks or a network to the Internet. Is this

Idea posible, fellow AOers?

-Ndog

Ummmmm...........encountered EXACTLY the same problem last week at a client's office.
    Uninstalled ZONEALARM......and it was fixed. (Firewall was blocking ping)

Final Reply

Ok,

Thanks for the TON of help i got on this newb question, but this was the problem and solution incase anyone missed it in my previous post.

Problem: 1 computer can ping another but cannont reply to a ping by the computer it just pinged too

Solution: FireWall (DUH ) In my case it was not my Zonealarm though but the built in windows firewall on the computer running win XP PRO.

So the moral of this story is... If you are haveing 2 way connection problems Disable ALL of your firewalls while troubleshooting the network. I hope we are all a little better informed newbies now
    Free Speach is nothing but a giant noose. If you are dumb enough to stick your neck into it, then you had better be prepared for someone else to choke your mouth shut.