Thread: amsn in linux

amsn in linux

i am using mandrake 9.1. i am in a LAN and gets net access trough a proxy sever squid on redhat 7.3. i installed amsn on my box and gave the proxy settings well.... but i doesnt logon...but if i click on check for newer version i connects to net and say me no new version but when i try to log on .....it does not give any error and doest logon alos it keeps it forst screen with "log on as xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com" as it...i click on it and nothing happens

any idea???

Developer Extraordinar
    When you click it nothing happens at all? You don't see the penguin walking or anything?
    A) Are you sure our username and password are correct?
    B) Are you sure you proxy is correct.
    C) Try re-installing aMSN and whatnot.

I use aMSN on Mandrake 9.1 and it works just fine. Maybe you have to configure your proxy server for something, I don't know, I don't use a proxy server...Sorry, I tried to help you as best I can!

all the above stated 3 suggestions i have all tried
    1.i am sure os username/password
    2.sure of proxy
    3.installed a lot of times

furure i would like to add that this prob is not specific to my Mandrake anyone on my LAN using amsn i not able to logon everyonme faces the same scenario be it mandrake or RedHat 7.3 to RedHat 9.0

Developer Extraordinar
    Well, I know it's not MDK based problem, I am on MDK 9.1 as I write this, and I am on aMSN. Maybe your proxy is blocking the port, if you have any Windows based machines try getting onto MSN from that, but I'm not sure it uses the same port. But it's worth a try, other than that, I'd say take a good hard look at your proxy configuration.

If you where trying this today, try again later, MSN was a little loopy today...see the MS security thread about MSN on this board.

in response to the replies i would like to add it is not a specific day prob. and as far as this day is concerned i was able to log in MSN Messenger in Windows XP....same proxy same port...........and successful log in Msn in windows........

amsn supports only http proxy and we are running squid on RH 7.3