Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE 6.0 slowdowns and hangs

Banned

IE 6.0 slowdowns and hangs

Fix IE 6 Slowdowns and Hangs

If Internet Explorer (IE) 6 is slowing to a crawl and/or hanging and starts to use 100 percent of CPU time it may well be a corruption of the "Temporary Internet Files folder". In particular, trying to delete Temporary Internet files via Tools, Internet Options or other privacy software seems to trigger this behavior. Also, attempts to view files in the Temporary Internet Files folder may show the folder as already empty when it is not. This behavior occurs because the Temporary Internet files database is corrupt.

The Temporary Internet files aren't really files but entries in %systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat. Deleting that file solves the problem. This same problem has occured for NT users and the fix works for XP.

1. Open a command prompt window on the desktop (Start/Run/command).

2. Exit IE and Windows Explorer (iexplore.exe and explorer.exe, respectively, in Task Manager, i.e - Ctrl-Alt-Del/Task Manager/Processes/End Process for each).

3. Use the following command exactly from your command prompt window to delete the corrupt file:

C:\>del "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local
    Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat"

4. Restart Windows Explorer with Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del/Task Manager/Applications/New Task/Browse/C:\Windows\explorer.exe[or your path]) or Shutdown/Restart the computer from Task Manager.

IE should now work properly.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    i know that ....duh !

im sorry ... next time i'll put the source too

2. Exit IE and Windows Explorer (iexplore.exe and explorer.exe, respectively, in Task Manager, i.e - Ctrl-Alt-Del/Task Manager/Processes/End Process for each).
    Everytime I have killed the explorer.exe process... my system hangs and recreates the session.

Workaround:

Login as a different user with admin privledges. Browse to

%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local
    Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\

Now delete every file in the folder, including index.dat

Repeat for every user experiencing problem. Or every user, just in case.

Log Off and the logon under your normal account and problem should be fixed.

If you don't have a second account with admin privledges.. add one.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Since XP normally doesn't use DOS, could you clarify how to remove the index.dat file in that operating system?

On my old computer, i couldn't manually delete index.dat, it said it was in use (even when i closed down IE etc), but i downloaded history kill (www.historykill.com), and it deletes ALL Internet activity from that session (including index.dat) - hope that helps

Since XP normally doesn't use DOS, could you clarify how to remove the index.dat file in that operating system?
    XP doesn't use DOS, you are correct. But does emulate it and you still have a command prompt.

On my old computer, i couldn't manually delete index.dat, it said it was in use (even when i closed down IE etc),
    In my post above, I described a workaround for deleteing the index.dat file.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks for that info

i guess you may be able to try this as well...

ever hear of opera, im sure you have, download version 7.10 from their site

then install it

restart xp to the recovery console using a win2k cd which will aloow you to modify things that even an xp admin can't

then try:
    del iexplore.exe

restart and never use IE again

very dump mrleachy ! Any one have some tutorial about security in IE and some web browser other?