Thread: How to create a shortcut icon in Redhat V9?

Talking How to create a shortcut icon in Redhat V9?

I really new to Linux and can you guys teach me how to create a shortcut in my Redhat Linux desktop.Thank.

if you just mean making a link from one to the other, you can either drag the icon in the GUI like you would in Windows, then click "create link". or, in the command prompt, type "ln -s <path to original file> <path to link>". if you're in the directory for the link or for the original file, you don't have to type its full path.

as an example, let's say i'm in my root directory, and i have a file called "button" in my /etc directory. to make it a link on my GNOME desktop, it'd type
    ln -s /etc/button /home/spyrul/.gnome-desktop/button.lnk

the path to your desktop in GNOME is /home/<username>/.gnome-desktop, so if you're using KDE, it might be something different that i don't know off the top of my head.

so try this, if you want.
    i will shoot you so hard.

Hi mom!
    This makes me wonder: is there such a thing as a guide to KDE or Gnome desktops for Windows users? Something to make transition a little easier?
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

well, if it ever gets too overwhelming for anyone, there's always iMacs :P
    i will shoot you so hard.

Go with what spyrul is saying and just use ln -s once your in the command prompt. Also I'm new too and just learning Unix. If you are making a shortcut in certain files you might have to log onto root. To do that you type root as your user name when you log in and then type the root password or you can type "su" and hit enter once your logged in on your username and then type the password. As long as it says [root@localhost] then you did it the right way.

Did I miss something here??

Don’t get me wrong, I started with punch cards, when I found a command line I fell in love, my first true love!

You did say RH 9, so did you install the default BlueCurve GUI ( gnome)

If so, how about just right click on the desktop,
    then choose “New Launcher”

You can then browse for the application, set an icon, etc.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Originally posted here by spyrul
    if you just mean making a link from one to the other, you can either drag the icon in the GUI like you would in Windows, then click "create link". or, in the command prompt, type "ln -s <path to original file> <path to link>". if you're in the directory for the link or for the original file, you don't have to type its full path.

as an example, let's say i'm in my root directory, and i have a file called "button" in my /etc directory. to make it a link on my GNOME desktop, it'd type
    ln -s /etc/button /home/spyrul/.gnome-desktop/button.lnk

the path to your desktop in GNOME is /home/<username>/.gnome-desktop, so if you're using KDE, it might be something different that i don't know off the top of my head.

so try this, if you want.
    If let say you have install Nmap in your Redhat v9 and how are you going to link them to your desktop.In shell,when you type
    Code:
    whereis nmap
    and it will display something like this
    Code:
    usr/bin usr/root usr/home
    which how are you going to make an icon on your desktop?Thank.