Thread: Adapting the front page.

Adapting the front page.

In the same point of view than the one of this thread. I thought about how viewing the General Chit Chat (and others forums like Cosmos where I confess I haven't gone since it had been removed from the main page) without losing the technical major aspect of AO the new staff want.
    I think that bringing back AO in a security aspect is a good think, but I think the decision was maybe too hard. AOers need also to speak about something else than security without limitations.

That's why I posted this little suggestion:
    As I guess it would be difficult to let everybody customise its own front page (and this even with a limitation, selecting some menbers (after a certain number of posts)). So I suggest to install a little "box" (like the one which contains the classic "active in AO forums" lasts threads/posts) at the bottom of the front page containing the 5-6 last "useless" threads/posts (from the general Chit Chat...). This box would be less important than the classic one and members/visitors will view useless threads less often than serious threads. But members will be able to keep an eye on what happens everywhere on AO from the front page, like before.
    I know this solution can be *easily* implemented because JP used it with the news section during one month or two.

Your opinions?
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

My thoughts exactly.

That is a good idea KissCool. I like the idea of a "site earned benefit".

People who are not logged in, or people with a certain amount of posts can't choose to see the GCC, Addicts, Cosmos, etc. on the front page.

I remember that one of the concerns of JUPM was that new people would come to the site and be less likely to join, etc. becuase of the high amount of non-security related posts.

If this is that big of deal to you... why not just make it so people can either choose (off by default) or make it a site earned benefit. Say you have 100 posts, you have the option.

That way we don't have to go looking through each forum for new posts. That is a real pain in the arse. We will be able to see the new posts (like before JUPM came) and everyone will be happy.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.