Thread: Change your WinXp Registry to fight against SynFlood attempts

Lightbulb Change your WinXp Registry to fight against SynFlood attempts

Code:
    Windows includes protection that allows it to detect and adjust when the system is being targeted with a SYN flood attack (a type of denial of service attack). When enabled the connection responses time out more quickly in the event of an attack. 

Open your registry and find the key below. 

Create a new DWORD value called "SynAttackProtect" and set it to either 0, 1 or 2 based on the table below. 

This value causes Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) to adjust retransmission of SYN-ACKS. When you configure this value, the connection responses time out more quickly in the event of a SYN attack (a type of denial of service attack). 

0 (default) - typical protection against SYN attacks 
    1 - better protection against SYN attacks that uses the advanced values below. 
    2 (recommended) - best protection against SYN attacks. This value adds additional delays to connection indications, and TCP connection requests quickly timeout when a SYN attack is in progress.
    Homepage
    http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1236/

wot key?!
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

From wacky_sung's enclosed homepage link (http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1236/) the key is:

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
    Value Name: SynAttackProtect,
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Then they came for the Catholics and I didn\'t speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me--and by that time no one was left to speak up.
    -- Martin Niemöller 1892-1984

Originally posted here by Noia
    wot key?!
    What you need to do is add some registry key in your WinXP.Follow the homepage instruction on doing it.It is very useful cos i have tested it.