Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide For Negative Antipoints

Guide For Negative Antipoints

I would like to start this post off by saying that I am sick of the *******s who don't know how to use negative antipoints. I have seen many cases of people who don't know how to use negative antipoints. Just recently Linuxguy99 made a post on the general chat that simply said I like linux. Because he made this post some people gave him negative antipoints and posted things like "this article is ridiculous". I'm sick of *******s online like that, first of all he posted this on the general chat area, thus the name general chat, also why the hell does it matter to them if someone says that they like linux. I have seen some posts where people have just quit AO just because of some of the negative points that they get for no reason at all. I've seen a post where a guy was from France and someone gave him a negative antipoint saying f*** the french. I myself have gotten neg's for things like posting my opinion on Cosmos, asking questions on the Newbie Security Forum, helping people with questions on various forums, and random negatives for no reason. I know that almost everyone has gotten a negative antipoint for some of the reasons that I have listed. Why? because some ******* had a bad day and feels like giving you a negative antipoint because he has the power to do it and make someone else mad. What's even worse is that most of the time when you ask these *******s about giving you the negative antipoint they won't even reply because 1. They didn't have a reason to give you negative antipoints to begin with and 2. They are afraid that you will try to get them back for them being a dumbass. So for all of you *******s that are reading this or to anyone who is new to this site and don't know how to use antipoints correctly here is a 10 commandments to negative antipoints that I hope will help you with knowing how to use negative antipoints.

1. Don't give someone a negative antipoint because you disagree with what they are saying, only if they are saying something way out of line should you give them negative antipoints. (ex. I hate Jews.) Very Rarely though does someone say something as out of line as that at this site because it is mostly full of people talking about computer problems and such.

2. Don't give someone a negative antipoint because they accidentally posted on the wrong forum. If they did then you can use your time to tell them to change to the right forum instead of using your time giving them negative antipoints.

3. I’m sick of seeing people get negative antipoints in the Cosmos. Even the moderator has recently made a sticky saying to ban antipoints altogether in that forum.

4. Don’t give out negative’s to people asking simple questions about their computers. I am so fed up with people giving out negatives to people asking simple questions, especially if it’s on the Newbie Security Questions forum. I have seen so many people not ask questions about things just because they are afraid.

5. I have actually gotten and seen other people get negative’s even when all they did is answer a question that someone asked. Anyone who does this needs to be kicked off AO completely because it does no good to give someone something bad for doing something good. Instead of you wasting time doing that why don’t you use your time figuring out what the problem is and then help another person out.

6. The worst of all is when I or someone I know gets a negative with a ridiculous comment that was given out by a complete dickhead. I have gotten comments like “moron.” Or just a pic of a smiley frowning. First of all anyone who does this is completely stupid. If your going to give out a negative then you should at least take the time to explain why you gave it out.

7. I know that there are circumstances where you should give people negative antipoints. One of those circumstances is when someone asks how to become a cracker or to break into something. If someone does this then feel free to give them negative antipoints.

8. If someone asks questions without even looking then you should give them negative antipoints because AO wasn’t made as a fast way where you can just ask questions without even looking yourself. You shouldn’t get others to do work for you, that’s not the purpose of the Questions forums. I hate it when I see people who will just ask where can I find this or where can I find that. Look yourself first because most likely you can find it on Google after a search or two.

9. As I said before, if you see someone saying something completely outrageous on AO that doesn’t need to be said (ex. I f***ed your momma last night). Then you should give them negatives and feel free to make fun of them too.

10. If you see someone ask a question that has been asked a million times on AO and could be easily found by searching the forum (ex. Where can I download linux?) then you should give them negatives or if your nice just tell them to search the site.

Whew, it feels much better that I’ve gotten that off of my chest. If this stops one person from wrongly distributing negative antipoints then I will feel that taking my time to write this was worth it. After I cool down a little bit then I might edit this post to be a little bit nicer but for now I feel that this shows my anger towards people who use the antipoint system wrongly. That’s all I have to say for this matter.

you make a very good and valid point there, half the time instead of negging people for posting in the wrong forum or little petty thing like that, thats what the PM system is for

as for the cosmos forum, i dont post there much out of fear of being negged, plus im not a very philosophical person, but it really is inappropriate to neg people for their own views on things such as religion / philosophy and such topics like that, this issue in cosmos needs to be taken up directly with our admins as well as the mod of that forum, cant remember his / her name right now though

Cosmos mod is Negative

You know what I think? Linuxguy99's post which simply said 'I like Linux' was a useless, pointless post. To cut down on useless, pointless posts, I can give him negative antipoints. If people see that he got negged, they are less likely to post useless, pointless points.

Antipoints in Cosmos has cut down amazingly since Negative's post. You can't bitch about people getting antipoints in Cosmos right now because it just went from every second post, to basically none at all (bravo Negative). So don't start whinging about it.

Do you realise that 'commandment' 4 contradicts 'commandments' 8 & 10? IMHO, it's not appropriate to give people negative antipoints for asking simple questions, but hey, I don't think it's wrong. I don't do it personally, but I can fully understand why someone would. If it cuts down on basic, answered a million times before questions, then great.

I think this site would improve drastically with an increased number of moderators and the removal of the antipoints system. However, the vast majority of people who bitch and moan about antipoints, do so because they're getting negged and they don't have many (or any) antipoints. I got a neg the other day that simply said 'get ****ed'. OMFG, I better go have a cry and see my therapist. Who gives a ****? The only people who should give a **** is those who could be banned by a negative assignment. Everyone else (you included) should just deal with it. If your panties are in that much of a bunch, you can always pm/email the admins about an abusive antipoint assignment. Several users have been banned because of abusive assignments.

[edit]
    some of your recent posts seem to meet your own criteria for negging......IMHO it is a bit hypocritical to bring out the ten commandments of negative antipoints when you've been here just under two months and your posts...well
    [/edit]

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    While we're "beefin'"...

I dislike seeing someone post in "Bugs" about a problem and then get replied that it's been complained about before.

If my electricity went out would I sit around in the dark for a long time thinking to myself " well it's been complained about?" No, I'd lean on the power company.

So lighten up about the "that's been posted before..." if you want to get down to brass tacks how many "bits" are you wasting flaming the poster.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Schoolsucks. Out of you 61 posts so far, this must be the 60th post where you wine about antipoints. I agree that you have posted a few valid points in this thread, but it seems to me that your entire AO visits are dedicated to antipoints. Thats not what AO is about. I agree there is a lot of unfair negging going on. I too have been negged without even understanding why.

My point is, the more you wine about antipoints, the more you will get negged. Stick to the subject. SECURITY.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Sorry, but I don't buy it. There are as many different reasons for dispensing points as there are users on this system. As they are all matters of opinion and judgement, none can be objectively validated any more than any other. Any attempt to set up a list of "commandments" is just lame and useless, because you - schoolsucks779 - cannot possibly forsee every circumstance for which a neg might be appropriate.
    2. Don't give someone a negative antipoint because they accidentally posted on the wrong forum.
    What about people who do it repeatedly? We have quite a few of them. How many times should it be pointed out before a negging is in order? And what about people who post in the wrong forum because they like to see their names on the front page? We have those too. This guy was just dumb enough to admit it openly. And what about the people who rose to the bait and encouraged him, knowing full well that the reason several forums were pulled from the main page was so flame wars wouldn't detract from the site? Should we just allow political flame wars to erupt on the main page against the wishes of both the owners and the community?

4. Don?t give out negative?s to people asking simple questions about their computers.
    Like powertoad said, which is it? 4, or 8/10?

5. I have actually gotten and seen other people get negative?s even when all they did is answer a question that someone asked.
    What if that answer contains demonstrably false information presented as fact? Sure, you can point out the misinformation, but what if they really think they are right and persist? Should newbies be allowed to spread false information around the site for other newbies to find with impunity, or does the community have a responsibility to police the truthfulness of the information presented here?

I have gotten comments like ?moron.? Or just a pic of a smiley frowning.
    You mean you need a detailed explanation of why I negged this guy and this guy? I'm sorry, but a one-word comment is all that's needed sometimes. I think 'moron' is being generous in both instances.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Ya first of all instronics most of my posts arent bitching about antipoints, out of my 61 I probably have made 3 about negative antipoints. Also Powertoad, its called the general chit chat, ok? If linuxguy feels like posting that he likes linux I dont see why you should care. If you click on the post and read it then it probably wasted 20 seconds of your time, time which really doesnt matter. But you persist to bitch about it and make it waste like 5 minutes of your time. I dont understand why your so mad about something so trivial. Your the one that needs a therapist if your always bitching about **** so small as that. By the way I know that I am still a newbie at this site and you think that I shouldn't be saying so much on behalf of the AO community but I know many people of the same rank as you who will back me on what I said. And also I think that you and problemchild misunderstood me on my 4th commandment, I said SIMPLE question, this doesn't mean the same thing as "asking the same question a million times" or "asking a question without looking first". problemchild, you make a really good point with most of the things that you have said, you have showed proof to back what you have said, there are always exeptions to things like you have said, when I made this post I was talking about the basic things that people do on AO. For now that is all that I have to say about this.

Also Powertoad, its called the general chit chat, ok? If linuxguy feels like posting that he likes linux I dont see why you should care. If you click on the post and read it then it probably wasted 20 seconds of your time, time which really doesnt matter. But you persist to bitch about it and make it waste like 5 minutes of your time. I dont understand why your so mad about something so trivial. Your the one that needs a therapist if your always bitching about **** so small as that.
    It's not like I got pissed off or anything. If I see a post like that I just go 'assign antipoints' and keep moving. The thing which annoyed me about that thread was your high and mighty post about linuxguy99 getting negative antipoints and saying that all the people that did it were idiots. linuxguy99 himself admitted that he thought he'd get a bunch of negs for that thread.

By the way I know that I am still a newbie at this site and you think that I shouldn't be saying so much on behalf of the AO community but I know many people of the same rank as you who will back me on what I said.
    I'm sure there are members who back you on what you say. But IMHO, if you've only been here two months then you shouldn't be dictating commandments. You could always ask all these addicts you know to support this thread by replying to it/offering their input.

I think that you and problemchild misunderstood me on my 4th commandment, I said SIMPLE question, this doesn't mean the same thing as "asking the same question a million times" or "asking a question without looking first".
    Here's a thought: How many simple, newbie-style questions haven't been answered somewhere else before, and wouldn't be found if the curious user did a quick google search? Not a whole lot. I think this logic has escaped you.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm.. weird. Gonna have the admins look at this.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage