Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is it necessary to have Antivirus software on Linux?

Originally posted here by wacky_sung

Who tell you that a firewall will not stop a DDOS.If you talk about DDOS attacks,you can filter all these very easy with a good hardware appliance(hardware firewall) or using a good software firewall being able to drop the flood packets instead of blocking it.You do not need to turn to your ISP for help instead you can solve it by yourself.I got average of 200 DDOS a day and i solve it myself without affecting my system perform.

I do agree with you that unpatch Window OS or Linux are prone to DDOS.Therefore it is very important to get up to date your patches for Window or Linux.It is important to get a firewall to secure it.
    I don't care if you block the packets or drop the packets, your bandwidth is still shot to hell. So what if your mahine keeps running if you can't get anywhere and no one can get to you. For some reason I doubt that you get hit by 200 DDOS attacks a day. Do you even know what DDOS stands for?

I don't care if you block the packets or drop the packets, your bandwidth is still shot to hell. So what if your mahine keeps running if you can't get anywhere and no one can get to you. For some reason I doubt that you get hit by 200 DDOS attacks a day. Do you even know what DDOS stands for?
    Distributed Denial of Service = DDOS

Your Bandwidth will only shot to crazy if your firewall is blocking it instead of filter(dropping) the packet.WHo tell you that i cannot get anywhere and nobody can get to me?That seem to be no reason why i can go or surfing my internet with ease with all those floods.Therefore i guess you better read more about firewall before making this comment.I run a game server,my server is often attacks by script kiddies and my firewalls is able to filter it.If my firewall can filter it,i see no reason why other Linux distro cannot do it too.

See here for a simple Linux with DDOS protection
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/rns-fg...151%2C150%2C87

If you keep complaining to your ISP,what they did is most likely to block that IP.In fact,you can block it by yourself.

better to be prepared for the worst.better opt for an antivirus.atleast we have something to blame for a sys crash

sorry this coment was not meant for this post, pls excuse, am sorry

er0k
    heh its always good. Ive had the experience of getting the VBSloveletter about a year ago when it first came out or something.. and it didnt affect my machine hence the vbs, and sent it to my teacher! :P but i didnt know it had that virus in it, it was around 9-11 and was a funny picture of a dude riding a carpet or something