Confused about DNS and Domains

Thread: Confused about DNS and Domains

Confused about DNS and Domains

Im confused here, getting my information from various searches on google I am haveing a hard time understanding certian aspects of DNS and woundering if someone can clerify:

Say I want to set up my own personal web space but host it on my own computer. I go to a registrar and purchase a domain name for a 1 year period. But they don't give me a DNS server, so Im left with a domain name, its parked and I have no DNS. I need the DNS to atach my ip to my domain name corect? Now lets say my ip is also dynamic. If I went to a web hosting company I could pay them to host it and theyd give me a DNS server address to use. But I want to host it myself. So I download a web server such as Apache for example. How do I get a DNS now? I discovered a service DNS2GO offered by www.deerfield.com and they say this

The DNS2Go service associates a static real name to any IP address, from dialup to DSL and cable. Deerfield.com provides dozens of top-level domains to choose from, making names truly unique and personal.
    So I purchase the DNS2Go 1-Year License Single Domain for $19.95

Here is where Im confused.

1) Without useing DNS2GO wanting to host my self but looking for other prices from other places, where else can I get a DNS server without the extra cost of a host?

2) Reading about DNS2GO you need a download if youve got a Dynamic IP, are there other freeware alternitives, seeing I dont know what the download does?

3) If I have a Relitivly static IP gathered from a DHCP server is this step of DNS realy nessisary?

Banned
    HOPE these can help U ;-)
    DNS

You are correct. If you have a domain name but no DNS server, people won't know how to find you. Since you have a dynamic ip address, it makes it all that more difficult for people to find you.

You are on the right track though.

There are other dynamic dns services for free.

Check out http://www.dynu.com/
    They give you a domain name, and the client in which you install and it will periodically update your IP addy with their DNS records. You can also use your own DNS name. Sort of like a redirector.

www.dyndns.org also has something similar.
    they have more subdomains available.

since you have a domain name like www.mydomain.com you are set.
    if you didn't... you could register for the basic service for free and they'd give you a domain name, but it'd be a subdomain... www.mydominan.dyndns.org

Both of these dynamic dns providers have free services. They come with the basic package... which is redirect, updating your domain name with their DNS servers and the like. Read their packages for more info.

You can also setup your own mail server using these services...

email@mydomain.dyndns.org
    email@mydomain.com

whichever you choose.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thank you for explaingin the update program thing, makes more sence now. Those services seem to give a rather nice domain for free. Thanks for those links.

Thank you both, those are very helpfull links. reading more this is starting to make more sence. Gona read through each of those, found www.dnsmadeeasy.com while I was waiting for a reply. They had a nice video showing me how to set it up, and gave me some liks to these updater programs, like dnssite.

sounds like the program is programed to periodicaly send my new ip address for the domain to the dns server by passing through the URL on a http get request. Looks like its done with CGI, makeing more sence now. Thank you for those links will definately read them.

Looks like we posted at the same time.
    Looks like the program is programed to periodicaly send my new ip address for the domain to the dns server
    you can normally set this to an interval that is better for you.
    If you know that your ip is leased for you for 1 hr, or 2hrs or 1 day, etc.
    you can set it to update at the right time.

If you are unsure... then just set it to update like every 10-30min. Many of these programs also have a quick sync button.. that will be forced to update rather than waiting for the scheduled time.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

My ip address stayed the same for over a year and just yesterday I noticed it had changed, I emailed my isp and they told me that it uses a DHCP server and it automaticlay changes or reassignes ip[ address when it feels best apropriat. Looking at the time period, would you recomend i set a high value like 9999 minutes since my ip is almost static or maybe beter to choose like you say a 10-20 second in case it just changes all of a sudden

Looking at the time period, would you recomend i set a high value like 9999 minutes since my ip is almost static or maybe beter to choose like you say a 10-20 second in case it just changes all of a sudden
    Since it doesn't change all that often... I'd just set it to update every couple of hours.
    If you set it for 10-20 seconds... you will be creating a lot of unnecessary traffic.

If someone can't get to your site for an hour... its not ideal... but its not an emergency. If you set it for 9999 min.... then it won't update for 9999 minutes after your ip has changed...

I think hrs would be more appropriate... unless you need it up all the time.

Then make it like minutes...

Depends on your needs.

Thanks once again phishphreek80 and phaza7 all you help was greatly apreciated. I downloaded bali dyndns and am going with the dyndns service you mentioned, will try to set it for a 2 hour period, thanks for the information and advice.