Crapy upload speed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crapy upload speed

Angry Crapy upload speed

I am on an internet connection that is wirelessly distributed to a few people in my neighborhood. The connection that is being distributed consists of 3 ADSL lines that run at(I think) 1.5 megabits each. My downloads rule(I typicly get from 300k - 600k) but uploads just piss me off(5k-50k). What the heck is going on? The signal streanght for my WAP is off the scale because im so close and I thought that ADSL was supposed to be the same for upload and download. Another issue I face is not being able to send files via MSN messanger, and yet can recieve them just fine. Someone help.
    101010 = The answer to liff the universe and everything...

What OS are you running? It may be the QOS setting...please Post a little more info on your setup...
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

I know someone who has a wireless isp and he generally doesn't restrict the DL speeds.

He has put a cap on the upload speeds though.

Check with your ISP to see what the UL speeds are supposed to be.

Are you running a firewall? I had the problem with sending files too... it was due to too many restrictions in the firewall. I can't remember the port it uses right now... I have it documented at home. Since I relaxed the rules on file uploads, it works fine.

If I remember correctly... MSN messenger uses ports 6891 to 6900 for file xfer, voice, images, etc.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I am running XP the WAP is behind a router that can be configured to be a firewall as well. My signal is bounced off of an 802.11b repeater back down to their server and then out to the ADSL lines. Earlier this week they called me up and said that I had to many open connections because of the file sharing software that I was running. They said that their server couldnt hanlde it. I think it might be their server because if it cant handle 50 connections at a time and my pitiful little router in my basement can. something is wrong. I really cant think of anything else that could be usefull to help you help me except that about 15 people are using the server besides me.

Some ISP's (Like Pacbell or Yahoo DSL - whichever name they are called today) only say that you will get a certain upload speed. We have 1.5 MB download, but only 100k upload. Like phishphreek80 said, go ahead and contact your provider and ask about the upload speeds.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Oh, another thing...

You said that you were using file sharing applications...

If you have too much traffic on your connection, that will affect your upload speeds.

Stop all DLs and see what your uploads are then.

This is one of the many weaknesses in the TCP/IP protocol suite. If that is the case... there is nothing your ISP can do about it. You have to limit your DL traffic when you are trying to upload.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I have tried killing all DL's and it seemed to help a little but I really dont know of a good way to actualy test it. I have been to a few speed test sites and typicly get about 2meg down and 1meg up although I did get more up than down one time(weird). Apparently these tests arent accurate. Any suggestions about where or how to test my speed?

My guess is you are running Kazaa or something similar, if that is the case your ISP got tired of other customers complaining about bad upload/download speeds and capped you, fixing every one else’s issue. Perhaps if you didn't hog bandwidth they wouldn't have to put a upload cap on you. Quit pirating music and programs/movies for a while, tell your ISP you have stopped and if they believe you the cap may be lifted...If it was up to me I wouldn't believe you.

This is why I like admining a corp. network instead of running an ISP, if crap like Kazaa is running here I just go down to the users desk and handle things

If its too much ot ask you to stop pirateing music see if you an work out a monthly bandwidth amount and a floating cap with your ISP...be prepared to be charged through the nose.

That's the "A" of ADSL: Asymmetric

This means you don't get the same amount of bandwidth in upload than download.

You can check with your ISP for how much bandwidth you're allowed for upload, but this sounds pretty much right in relation to your download speed.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss