Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding folders...

Hiding folders...

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I was recommended here by someone who found an article about the founder (who went to our University...)

Anyways, the RIAA apparently downloaded some files from me, got my IP, had the University trace it, and found out that I was sharing copyrighted material. The university is asking that I unshare the files (done), and that I delete them and all other copyrighted material. I don't particularly want to do that.

So what I've done is hidden the folders. The can't be seen in My Computer, the files don't show up when searched for. I'm doing all of this in case someone actually decides to physically look on my computer for mp3s.

My question is... is there some other way for them to do a search/trace type of thing that will show these files? I have way too much to burn to CDs, and I'm just wondering, if someone really wants to know if I have these files, will they be able to see them.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

P.S. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition.

There are a wide variety of 'forensic' tools out there capable of finding just about anything. Recommendation, get rid of the stuff, it's just bound to get you into further trouble. They caught you once, they can catch you again.

Cheers:
    DjM

They don't even have to use forensic utilities to find your files. As you are under XP, they simply need to disable the "hide files" option in "folder's options". Maybe should you transfer your files on a private hdd/cd (the yours), or maybe should you encrypt them in order to prevent somebody else to access them. But I'm not sure you have the right to let encrypted documents in university computers.
    In all case, if you don't own this material, be aware that you are in an illegal way!

KC
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I don't see how the university can look at your computer... I don't think that would happen.
    It'd have to be the authorities (with a warrant)... in which, yes: They will find these files.

You obviously don't want to encrypt all that, as there is wayyy too much to encrypt.
    That would take forever.

Maybe getting a second hard drive, and storing it "offsite" for backup until things cool down?
    Maybe take it for what it was: a warning. A cease and desist if you will.

I seriously doubt that your computer will get searched by the university though.
    I don't know how they'd have the legal authority to do so...

I would chill out on the P2P trading for sure. They are cracking down on that pretty hard.
    Right now, they are mostly targeting universities and corporations.. home users will be next.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

As DJM said There are a wide variety of 'forensic' tools out out there, and if some one have access to youre pc and have the knowledge, then he(she) coud be able to find out the information, even if you delete them. But lets change the question you made for a wile. If the question was there are some way to keep my private information (docs, mp3,etc) safe.? the answer is YES.!!.

There are so many tools to encrypt youre files and keep it safe. The people can see it but will not be able to read them if doesn't have the key to decrypt the files.

xDrack.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I figured that would be the case, and that the university, if they send someone, will send someone who really knows their stuff. Basically, I've acquired some great stuff, a lot of it is rare/live/out of print, and I really don't want to delete it. A friend has offered to hold them for a few days until the heat dies down. But I've already gone ahead and unshared them anyway, since that was their main beef.

Originally posted here by cflyer
    unshared them anyway, since that was their main beef.
    If you are still using a P2P system such as Kazaa you might want to think about uninstalling that as well. If you continue to use it, the traffic it generates can be monitored, which may also end up putting some heat on you. I am not prepared to discuss the legality of the RIAA and it's policies and procedures, that has been argued quite a lot here (search the forums if you want). The point right now, is, doing what your doing is considered piracy and if you continue, you can try and fight the RIAA or you get punished, I guess it's up to you.

Cheers:
    DjM

Is it your machine...if so pull the drive if not, drop a second drive into it, move the files over to that drive, and pull the dirve...you may want to look into encrypteing the folders...and drop the system with the mp3 from the universitiys network. If its your system they can clean their network but they have no rights to enter your system (remotely or physicaly).

I would get some sort of removalble HD bay (eather an internal box that slides out or a usb bay that accepts ide drivess) and use that for the file storage drive.

This all assumes you have no problem with the idea of stealing music.

Get some encryption tools and encrypt all copyrighted files. Next place a password where ever you can BIOS, screen saver, windows login. Another option if you have a CD-burner is to burn it to a few cd-rw's and keep them some where hidden.

And if that doesn't put your paranoia at ease theres always more extreme measures.

1. Self-Destructing computers
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/news-item90.htm

2.The industrial strength magnet
    http://www.nationalmagnet.com/magnets-les.htm

3.The removable hard drive tray. When the Feds come a knocking out the window it goes. http://www.techadvice.com/help/Produ...ovable_hdt.htm

4. Hide your computer box behind the desk then spend 20 buck on an old 486 and place it right beside your monitor. When the RIAA goons ask to see your computer you show them in and hand it to them with a big simile.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Well, my fear and paranoia got the best of me. I deleted every single one of my mp3s, even the ones that I downloaded legally. I just did it in one fell swoop. 35 GBs worth-- oh yeah, it hurts.

I guess this is a lesson for me. I find it kind of odd that they never really mentioned that they had beef with me downloading files, just for distributing them.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everybody. If I had more time and info about my situation, I might have tried some of them. But as it is, they got the boot.