Network problem...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network problem...

Network problem...

Guys,

I have a problem with a laptop computer in a 4-PCs LAN that doesn't appear in the workgroup. Our workgroup is called "WORKGROUP" but this computer (by default) was in the workgroup called "MSHOME", so i changed it to "WORKGROUP" but when i reboot the machine it comes back to "MSHOME". It's like it isn't saving the changes, i can't figure what the problem could be. I tried updating Windows completely but still don't luck at all. I know i could solve the problem changing the other 3 PCs to "MSHOME" workgroup but now i just want to know what the problem could be and if there's a way to solve it.

Thanks in advance,

DKRR

Try deleting the connection or if you are using win98 delete the TCP/IP protocal and reinstall it with the settings that you need. And are you using DHCP or assigning addresses to all your machines?
    101010 = The answer to liff the universe and everything...

XoN-ASSIM,

I have already tried deleting the connection and the protocols too without luck. By the way, i'm using Windows XP in the machines and using DHCP to assign automatic IPs but i still think the problem has to be with an error that doesn't save my changes when assigning a new workgroup to the laptop.

Thanks.

DKRR

I already faced that kind of problem & it was due to different OS running on the PCs, some with 98 & some with NT.
    Are all your laptop using homogeneous OS?
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

make sure that you hit apply or okay after changing the workgroup name. that's always an obvious one.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

I am assuming the MSHOME one is Windows ME (ugh). Are you setting it directly or using the network connection wizard? If you aren't trying the wizard, you might want to try it, maybe there is a file somewhere you are missing...

Tried looking around M$ and saw a few articles:

http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/boo...5417b.asp?#102
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/br...orkgroups.aspx

WinME support center: http://support.microsoft.com/default...SD=GN&LN=EN-US

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Guys,

Networker:
    Everyone of the PCs has Windows XP installed and no other OS.

sickyourIT:
    It is an obvious but i already did it. In my post i say: "so i changed it to "WORKGROUP" but when i rebooted the machine...", so to reboot the machine i had to click "OK" or "Apply" for sure, other way it don't ask you to reboot.

nebulus200:
    I'm not using Windows ME. Thanks for the links.

Anyway, thanks you all for answering and trying to help, take care,

DKRR

Sounds like there is an issue in the OS, is it possable to reinstall? have you checked for viri?
    If you can't reinstall and a virus check came up negitive I would hit regedit32 and find every mention of mshome and change it to "WORKGROUP" that should take care of the issue

I know this is seems obvious, but it easy to overlook at times... Are you sure you are logging in as Administrator, or ith an account that has Admin rights? Depednding on your rights in 2000 and XP, you can alter the workgroup and such, but none of the changes will be saved. Also, that workgroup that continues to come back is the default workgroup for the MSN internet service. It seems that the laptop has the MSN internet services enabled. I would uninstall the entire package, reboot, log in with Admin rights and attempt to change once again.

Strange that XP would have MSHOME in it...thought that was an exclusive ME thing...oh well...question still stands though, did you try to change it via the network wizard or did you try to change it via my computer -> network identification -> properties?

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)