Thread: File Sharing

File Sharing

what I would like to do would be to allow two computers to connect over the internet to share files. For instance, I would like to put the files I want to share into one folder and allow the other computer to access that folder over the net. I guess it would be kinda like a FTP server.

If I can I would like to set this up without paying for anytype of software.

Is there anything on a Windows 98 computer that I can use to set this up, and if not what program would I need?
    =

Possible but highly insucure..You have a few options, If one is 2k server you can setup a VPN, if both are 98 you can still set up a VPN you would just need to get the right software. You can also run an ftp server, its built into 2k, on 98 you would have to get a ftp server software package. Check google there should be a lot of free/shareware out there, or check www.tucows.com . they have loads of windows shareware, and I know they have a few FTP servers.

One other option is to get some sort of P2P server and give your friend a copy of the client and your IP. Not sure on names but I have seen this type of privet P2P before.

The most secure method would be to have the server running at least win2k if not Linux for any of these options, 98 is just too easy to compromise.

FTP servers/clients are very cheap/free? you shouldn't have any problems finding a free one...
    although make sure you secure the FTP server when 1st installed... many Servers want to use Anonymous accounts by default... then shut the server down when-ever possible!
    When you connect to your ISP, you are potentially opening your computer to the world. There are \'naughty people\' out there who enjoy breaking into other people\'s computers. Give some thought to the security of your computer...
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=360

What would be the best way to secure the FTP server. I'm a little new to the FTP servers and don't know that much about it. I was just wanting ot be able to transfer files to a computer while I'm away.
    =

just get Kazaa Lite and put ur files in the shared folder for your mate to download from u, and u can get his :P

Kazaa would be very insecure as anyone could download from you.
    As for securing your FTP server it depends on whos ftp server you get, go through the config on it and make sure anonmous ftp acces is turned off...you could even go to your router (if you have one) and only allow your friends ip to the ftp port.

Don't forget to setup your firewall (you do have a firewall...Don't you?) to allow access from that IP addy from the box you wish to upload files. It won't do any good if you allow on the FTP server just to be blocked from your personal firewall..

peace
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson