Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restricting Access in Windows XP

Restricting Access in Windows XP

I appreciate, in advance, any help that can be offered.
    Thank you...

This is what I would like to do:

I want to have it so when I set-up a new user, I only want them to be able to do certain things. For example, playing games, using Office for reports and what not, and general computer use, but nothing to do with the internet...not without a password.

So, first question, is this possible? If so, could someone lead me through some steps? My computer here is very accessible to people and although I don't want to totally restrict people, I want it to be under my control. And, if at all possible, without the need to download software. If you can download and install it, there's a way to un-install it...which I want to eliminate.

I would appreciate any insight anyone can give or offer me. You can either respond here or email me at heartfulemotion@yahoo.com.
    Thank you for your time.
    ...the scent of your hair as you twirl in your fingers, and the time on the clock, when we realized that it\'s so late, and this walk that we shared....together!

do you have a dail-up/broadband/etc

Sorry about lack of clarity...

I have Windows XP Home
    Cable Internet Connection
    512 mb RAM
    120gig HD
    2.2 Mhz AMD

If there is anything else, let me know.
    Thank you
    ...the scent of your hair as you twirl in your fingers, and the time on the clock, when we realized that it\'s so late, and this walk that we shared....together!

If you just want to restrict internet access to a user I would suggest using sygate personal firewall. Set a (strong) password on that and then when YOU log out set the firewall to 'block all' mode. Make sure the user you have created does not belong to an administrators or power users group as they could shut down the firewall without being prompted for a password.

Another way of restricting user rights is through group policy editor.
    Type 'gpedit.msc' in a run box.
    I am not sure about restricting internet access through that one though.

Hope it helps

I totally appreciate your response no0dle.

Is there anywhere where I can get a sysgate firewall, freeware, or am I going to have to drop a few bucks?

Also, with this firewall, can it be user-specific? Meaning, would there be a way to designate it as "block all" for one user, and then when I log into another account, it resume normal, or would I have to manually reset it back to "normal?"

Just to clarify so that you know the exact situation...

I have a friend who uses my computer all of the time, and sometimes when I check the history/temp/ folders, I notice that he has gone to "adult sites" and whatnot. Alright, so I approached him and we worked out a deal where I installed software called "X-watch" that if he goes to any questionable site, a list of the "bad sites" will be emailed to me. So, a little internet accountability.

Well, he came to me and said that he can still get "stuff" through Kazaa, so I blocked the site kazaa.com through the Content Advisory in IE, as well as kazaalite and so on. Well, naturally there are ways around this, which he knows, so what I want to do is create an account for him so he can use the computer for games (single player), office products, and general computer use, but I don't want him to use the internet without either entering a password that I know, or just not using it at all unless I am around...to keep him in check.

Sorry for the length of this explanation. I just want to make sure that I explain everything and leave nothing to chance..

so, if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
    Thank you again...

Actually to solve your problem is quite easy.First of all,you can make use of your router to assign certain ports for them to go such as open the port for 80,21,8080,110,25 and the rest of the ports you close it.As for application,you can make use of the user setting for the area or application which set for the user to use.That's it but the home edition has some limitation.

I don't think I have a router wacky_sung.

I mean, I could be wrong, but all I have is a cable modem and a NIC card. I guess I just have to get home and play with the group policy and settings and see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for your help. If you have any more suggestions, please keep responding.
    Thank you

I guess I just have to get home and play with the group policy and settings and see what works and what doesn't.
    This is the only way which you can do.Otherwise if you have a hardware firewall,you can also play around with the setting.

Sygate personal firewall can be obtained from:
    http://www.sygate.com/

It is free for personal use.

You can set it only to one mode at the same time.
    So you will have to set it to 'block all' when you log out and the other person logs in.

Edit
    Blocking kazaa in content advisor won't get you far since it does not use internet explorer to make a connection.

n0odle, no I don't block kazaa through IE, I block the actual site and download.com so he can't re-d/l it. I know he can search for mirrors, so that's why I want to block internet without me being there.

I know I am asking for a lot but I totally appreciate the level of professionalism you have shown me. I know I don't post much and I appreciate your rapid response.
    Thank you guys/gals (if any)