Help me please

Thread: Help me please

Help me please

I have deleted /usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf_up.h on my RedHat 6.1 box. What can I do because I need this file.

central il
    Your best bet is to laod it off the redhat cd...or see if you can grabe the file from the web somewhere.

You may be better off updateing your linux install. There have been a lot of fixes to the kernal and to verious packages, if you haven't kept all of your patching up to date you may want to upgrade to a more recent version of red hat its up to version 9 now.

You do understand that these are your kernel source files

Have you ever built your own kernel ?

did you try reinstalling the kernel-source RPM ( the most recient I would hope )
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Assuming that rpm is as powerfull(or powerfull enough) on 6.1 as it is on later releases, try this command.

rpm -q -f /usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf_up.h

It should tell you the name of the rpm which installed that file, then you should be able to freshen it by

rpm -F whatever_the_package_name_is.rpm

Hopefully rpm with 6.1 has all the database features that I am so used to on 7.2 +

Like IKnowNot said, this from your kernel source. If you find out what your kernel version is, just run

rpm -F kernel-source-2.x.x-x.rpm

inserting the proper version numbers and it should replace that file.

Also, I would really consider upgrading at least to 7.3 if you can find it. 8 is so so, 9 seems good so far for me.

Why dont you load it again from your linux cd