Thread: Is my MS Access 2000 DB Corrupt?

Is my MS Access 2000 DB Corrupt?

Hi,
    I just took over as Network Admin for a small company. The last Admin was fired but like a fool they gave him a few minutes to "gather his things" I've been able to change back the passwords on the servers and clean up most of the mess. THe only think I'm having issues with is an Access Database.
    He put a password to protect it but that was easy to recover but I'm getting "the current user doesn't have permission to convert or enable this database.

I'm not much of a datbase person but if I'm not mistaken can't I access it if I have the administrators Password? It's on a Fat partition so it's not encrypted.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Do you get this error when you first try to open the db or when you try to manipulate the data?

I know there is a way to change the permissions on an Access db so even the Administrator cannot open or run (or even administer) the db. I believe this is under Tools > Security > User and Group Permissions.

[gloworange]Oracle 9i is my friend. (So is MS Sql Server.)[/gloworange]

I get the error when I first open it. I've goneinto user group permissions and cleared the passwords. I'm not sure wht the issues are.

This May help:

Our customers report about strange Access databases (v8.0). Databases seem to be password protected but password recovery software (including Access Password) shows strange password which is not accepted by Access. Analyzing these databases we found that they are corrupted in a very specific and strange manner. There is well-known auto-replace feature in MS Word, for example, Word replaces (c) sequence to the single copyright character. In all broken databases reverse replacement was performed. 0a9h byte replaced with (c) sequence (ASCII 0a9h is a copyright symbol), 0aeh -> (r) and so forth. As a result Access databases are broken and there is a little chance to convert them back. If you open broken database with HEX editor you'll see for example '(c)' text at offset 21h while 0a9h byte must be there. There is very poor chance to recover such database. Microsoft has confirmed this bug, refer to this link for more details
    Full site here

forgot 2 add - they have an access password cracker (incase of lost passwords), but the free 1 only does it for a 3 digit password, anymore and u will have to purchase it !!

That was ever happened to me either mate, but with different condition .. at that time i consulted to microsoft and confirm to them about the DBA administrator password and told them about the sittuation. And they gave me this : http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/...ree/65t3_3.htm
    and configure the folders 1033 to unlock the password. I forgot they way to get the passw0rd but it has related with 1033 .. i will try to open my journey first
    When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

Try this.

Hold down the shift key when opening the database to disable the autoexec macro.

This sometimes allows form passwords to be bypassed.

If you still have problems and the db is not to big e-mail me it and I will recover it for you.

nice suggest mark .. but it only pass the key lock of DBA, not admin password .. but it depends with how the old admin set the DBA password if only with key lock perhaps mark right .. good job mark
    When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

Elcomsoft

I bought an Advanced password recovery suite from Elcomsoft.

You can use this to recoved MDB passwords.

Another thing I have also found is that the database can become corrupted and give

Jet and SQL password errors. You can get an mdb recovery tool at

www.downloads.com

I'm sure its called jet something or other which actually seems to work.