Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh boy -> Powell: France faces consequences

Oh boy -> Powell: France faces consequences

Did not see this yet on the forums. Not much meat in the article, but this does not lead me to believe that we are going to make nice yet with anyone who opposed the US led war:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...ons/index.html

So does this reinforce the general feeling of the US being an "arrogant bully" to the rest of the world? Or is Powell correct?
    \"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?\"
    -Juvenal

What did the French think would happen? They went out of their way to lobby against us this whole time, even traveling to various african nations to bribe for support, yeah were gonna spank you on the ass and give you a birthday cake. I dont think so!

dublix said
    They went out of their way to lobby against us this whole time, even traveling to various african nations to bribe for support
    Only in reaction of what US have done.

The embargo was established by the Un against Saddam for that he disarms his country.As Saddam is not there any more and to help the Iraqi people in the rebuilding of the country, France required to suspend this embargo, so that once the protected country the inspectors of UN checks disarm it. If the country is not disarmed the embargo should resume.

The embargo was established by the Un against Saddam for that he disarms his country.As Saddam is not there any more and to help the Iraqi people in the rebuilding of the country, France required to suspend this embargo, so that once the protected country the inspectors of UN checks disarm it. If the country is not disarmed the embargo should resume.
    France is pushing the edge on this one, they were about to try to keep the sanctions going until it was verified that all the WMD were gone. Hello!! The people need food and medicine, and Saddam is no more! Suspend! The French are so callous and arrogant. Who do they think they are fooling with this shell game. Anyone can see the moral in dropping the sanctions immediately and letting those poor people have some good food, water, medicine etc...Hell, after what they have gone through they should have just about anything they want for a good long time.

What did we do again??

Banned
    What did we do again??
    You offered Turkey 100's of millions of dollars in exchange for their support, and you almost got them to join you... too bad Turkish government didn't dare to go in against the Turkish people

That's just one example of what Ghostdog means, I think...

you(usa) went against the un and the rest of the world and used "preemptive" force to kill 1000 s of people ,spyed on,wire tapped, bribed, and bullied fellow nations, saying the french are arrogant is the pot calling the kettle black and how many nations were/are putting up troops to kill iraqis hmmmmmmmmmmmmm 3 . cui bono ? maybe hmmm bechtel , halliburton and other bush cronys hmmmm and who pays the iraqis with their blood and their oil . good thing they have oil so they can pay for reconstuction. Not like the Afghanis which now are ruled by warlords ,well unless you live in Kabul.

you(usa) went against the un and the rest of the world and used "preemptive" force to kill 1000 s of people ,spyed on,wire tapped, bribed, and bullied fellow nations, saying the french are arrogant is the pot calling the kettle black and how many nations were/are putting up troops to kill iraqis hmmmmmmmmmmmmm 3 . cui bono ? maybe hmmm bechtel , halliburton and other bush cronys hmmmm and who pays the iraqis with their blood and their oil . good thing they have oil so they can pay for reconstuction. Not like the Afghanis which now are ruled by warlords ,well unless you live in Kabul.
    Hey if the U.N wants to debate all day and not enforce their own mandates, then whomever is able to do the deed should. OMG CHRÉTIEN is such a moral authority excuse me!! I suggest you go talk to the Iraqi's that were throwing flowers at our troops and dancing on Saddam's face in the square, in the meantime all who opposed the war can just go get the rest of the egg of their faces!

<edit>
    My words here may seem a bit harsh, but 9/11 didnt happen to you so i have no regrets..

Yeah, Turkey wanted what 30 billion to "allow" us to use their land??? And we were offering 16??? From over here it sounded more like extortion from an already nafarious regime, if you ask me. But they did remind us they are our NATO ally, hmmm.....

Yeah heaven forbid the turkish gov't go against their people, they'd just have to worry about bigger mass graves, right Negative???
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

dublix said

The people need food and medicine, and Saddam is no more! Suspend! The French are so callous and arrogant. Who do they think they are fooling with this shell game. Anyone can see the moral in dropping the sanctions immediately and letting those poor people have some good food, water, medicine etc.
    France has already send food and medecine for iraqi.

dublix said

"Only in reaction of what US have done."

What did we do again??
    Negative said

You offered Turkey 100's of millions of dollars in exchange for their support, and you almost got them to join you... too bad Turkish government didn't dare to go in against the Turkish people

That's just one example of what Ghostdog means, I think...
    That's what I refer to.

I am on a call right now with an SSH rep and the conversation changed from SSH to what is going on right now with the US. We have spent about 30 minutes just going over this and other topics related to the War.

I just wanted to say a few things about the conversation. Why would I bother with this? Just to hopefully point out that we are thinking here outside of the Bush. These are the opinions of me and the this sales rep only:

1) Ok - the war is fine, but we did say we were going over to find WMDs - disarm Iraq? Right? So where the hell are they? What irks us is that this thing is costing us about 1 billion US $$$ a week, and we have @36 out of the 50 states operating under a loss for a budget this year! Obviously the $$$ is major, but even more so the loss of life on both sides and still no WMDs! And now we look like even bigger A-holes to the rest of the world! ARRRGGH! Again - if we needed to go to war fine, I even wanted to go back in, but was blocked by my family - seriously - my wife almost tee'd my head off just for suggesting I go back in. Just - where are the WMDs?!?

2) We hate to say this, but this War and the "War on Terrorism" should have to be completely wrapped up - meaning we that we would have to have found both Saddam and Usama and give them a heavy lead head-heart proliferation operation - two in the head, one in the heart, before any other actions are taken! This is just good project management - you complete the project by completing the milestons, we close and celebrate! And this includes our
    C-in-C 'refocusing' on NKorea and domestic issues. Yes - I know those issues are hot, but as I have stated before, Saddam and Usama have much less lead and iron in their diets than I and many others would like, and the US needs to prove that we can TCB completely... F**k!

3) On Powell and France - I guess this is more of a question than anything. When France officials, the Foreign Ministry in this case states:

"Throughout the Iraq crisis, France, along with a very large majority of the international community, acted in conformity with its convictions and its principles to defend international law."
    Is is because of principal or economic interests that existed between Iraq and France before the war? I am still looking for evidence of the latter - but since this is cosmos, I am really wondering the 'real' reasons? Or is it as many opposing countries stated - simply the way the US govt proceeded with military action? Again - it may seem obvious, but I like to revisit things once inawhile.

/edit on

I just saw this, interestingly enough it was actually linked from a French news site to this US article. Let's see what you think:

France's scheme hits a U.S. wall

/edit off

I may add more later as I am starting to calm down now, but I'm sure my temper will be back up soon.
    \"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?\"
    -Juvenal