Some Questions for experienced web developers

Thread: Some Questions for experienced web developers

Some Questions for experienced web developers

I'm writing a term paper on my profession, I have to ask people or conduct a survey of some questions for real web developers to answer. If you are not an experienced web developer please don't reply. I'm looking for the real developers not
    the person who does a web page in frontpage. I'm most interested in the web developers that do it for a living so if you could be honest thanks.

1) What made you choose to become a web developer?

2) How do you think the technology has changed within the last ten years and where do you think it's headed?

3) What type of dedication do you put into websites you build?

4) How much education did it take you to get to be a experienced web developer?

5) Does your organization focus on team building excercises?

6) If you had a choice would you stay working in the same field why or why not?

7) What are some of the advantages of being a web developer and what are some of the disadvantages?

8) What motivates you when working on web sites, or developing code for the web?

Thanks a bunch!
    Good Grief

It was really trendy at the time. Also that was 1997

2) How do you think the technology has changed within the last ten years and where do you think it's headed?
    Well I haven't been in the industry 10 years.

When I started, hardly anyone had a web site, it was easy enough to win business by just creating a web site. A few years later, a shop was what everyone wanted (whether appropriate or not).

These days, they've done the "presence", they've done the "ecommerce". These days, people want results, they are ruthless with design requirements, and they want it all done on the cheap

Well to be quite honest I'm a bit cheesed off with it.

I've got an honours degree, but I don't think it was necessary (except that the www had only just been intented when I started studying; I didn't cover it at uni)

A lot of my colleagues have fewer qualifications.

I'd rather skip that one.

Definitely not. It's just a dead-end where lazy or incompetent programmers go. In web work, mediocrity seems acceptable and is the norm.

7) What are some of the advantages of being a web developer and what are some of the disadvantages?
    Over traditional development: It's usually quicker to develop (although deadlines are shorter), deployment issues are much less important because you usually have a thin-ish client (unless you're using activex or some nonsense like that)

Clearly you can waste a lot of effort on user-agent compatibility and testing.

8) What motivates you when working on web sites, or developing code for the web?
    The ability to see things quickly.

You get a hell of lot done for your effort, compared with "traditional" apps. You get a UI, which whilst not terribly pretty by default, does work most of the time without much effort.

Turn-around times are very short (i.e. almost immediate), when it works it's reasonably fun.

Ninja Code Monkey

Re: Some Questions for experienced web developers

I started out doing software testing for an e-commerce company and wanted to do something more interesting so I picked up dev.

I've only been doing it for the past 3-4 years. It's interesting to see how it is heading more towards xml based web services, distributed environments, etc.

Just the dedication to get what the customer wants out, when they want it, and with the best level of security I can provide for their application.

I teach myself everything in my spare time as well as while doing projects on the job.

Team building? Never heard of it.

As long as it is somewhat challenging. If the challenge is gone, then it's time to find something new.

To me it's the same as doing a shrink wrap style app. We do the same dev, test, etc. process. It all moves fairly quickly. I think it's easier to get feedback with web applications because you can get your end product out to a great number of users faster.

Getting paid, getting the right functionality out on time, and putting it out with the best security I can give it.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Banned
    Ive nearly finished my degree and have a web developers job in the pipeline, so i hope i count

Ive always been interested in the subject, and for a graduate, all the jobs in this sector start on at least 20000 PA

Theres lots of exciting changes, and ive been investigating using Virtual reality in the web but so far, you need a good computer to run the pages efficiently, but all in all it looks good.

Sites i have made so far have involved lots of dedication, mostly due to them being for courseworks, but as long as the customer is happy, you only need to put in enough effort to make this so !!

Im from the UK and i have 11 GCSE's, 4 A-Levels & i'm online for a first class BSc degree with honours. I think its more of who you know than what you know.....

Not applicable

I would stay in this field as there is a lot to learn and do, and new things are coming out all the time

Adv: Job Satisfaction, money, skill Dis Ad: Working to a deadline !!!

For now it's too better my education and fun, n the future it will be for the cash.....and also for the hell of it

Hope this help you out - Good Luck !!