Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hacker infiltration

Question hacker infiltration

i have a friend that has a hacker that is able to view her e-mails,backgrounds,screen saver, AIM instant messages,files and folders, you name it he can read it. what can she do? i haven't been here in so long but when she told me about it i instantly thought of this site for the best help. anyone know what could be done?

From the sounds of it someone is using a trojan such as SubSeven or Netbus to control her computer and snoop on her. First and foremost scan the computer with an antivirus program, and if that doesnt work check out Tauscan from www.grisoft.com and see what it turns up. Also, if she doesnt have a firewall, it would definately help to install one such as Zone Alarm or Outpost
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

It could possibly be that she has a trojan of some sort in her system.
    Try downloading TheCleaner and see what it finds.
    get it here: http://www.moosoft.com/thecleaner/

EDIT: I hate posting a reply at the same time as someone else
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.

aah ok, i'll put on a firewall and scan the computer for her, then see if the problem persist. thanks guys. i'll let u know if it continues.

it certainly is a trojan and if u still can't find a trojan installed then disconnect now .

most likely a virii prog, i would connect and lan or wan connections and run a virus scan with the latest updates.

and since your friend seems to be careless towards securiy tell her to get:
    a:a software firewall
    b:a hardware firewall
    c:an anti virus prog

Hello

Tell your friend to change ALL her passwords icq, aol aim, pop e-mail,
    online banking, yahoo etc to be on the safe side even if the
    machine is cleaned with Norton or software like the 'Cleaner'
    the Hacker is still in the game he can access all of her accounts
    without her Knowledge, imposter her (identity theft) launch
    attacks or monitor her steathily.

Strongly suggest looking into SSH to send/recieve pop e-mail or
    transmiting any sensitive information encrypted and not into
    plain text. For Windows I know of Terra Term but there may
    be other clients.

Doc

You might want to advise your friend's isp on the situation. They most likely will have logs that can give details on any traffic to or from your friend's computer, this might give a great lead to tracking down the intruder or provide evidence in a court of law if it comes down to that.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Hi!
    Maybe u most reinstall the system. The oponent, may be install another backdoor or a root-kit. (i'm really paranoic)
    Best wishes!!

groby

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I wouldn't want to use an elephant gun to kill a fly, but I think I might second both the notion of changing all passwords and as many usernames as possible- instant messaging, email, banking,- anything with a username and password- as well as rebuilding the system from scratch.

The problem is that you don't know what the intruder could have done. You could use The Cleaner or other similar software and detect and remove a Trojan horse program. But, the intruder could have used a known Trojan horse to get in but planted some original home-grown Trojan / backdoor that the software doesn't know about so it would remain behind.

Setting up a software firewall like Zone Alarm would help- because you would be alerted when the Trojan tried to initiate a connection or access a service on the computer. But, if your friend isn't technically savvy they may unwittingly approve the connection anyway. My experience with novices and Zone Alarm - or other software firewalls- is that they often don't know what the application or service being asked about is supposed to do so they just approve it on the assumption that its probably OK.

So, it may be overkill, but I might do all of the above: rebuild the system and install updated antivirus and firewall software and also change all usernames and passwords and possibly even get new credit card numbers and such (or at least watch my credit card statements for erroneous charges).