Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete Wipeout

Complete Wipeout

Suppose, you have some sensitive or private files upon your computer. And in a certain case u might need to wipe it out as quickly as possible with a floppy boot disk. What would be the best program or a certain virus to do something like this?

Autoclave is my favorite, i love that one because you can choose the amount of passes it wipes the drive with. You can get it here--> http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios...e/install.html

You just burn it to floppy_ reboot and choose your poison! Its very user friendly.

<edit> be sure to read the instructions though because you will need rawrite to get the image on the floppy.

We had a very large magnet (industrial rated to around 500 pds of force) that we would set our drives on in these instances...whiped them so clean that you needed a low level format to get the mworking again...the data would never be recovered

How much monyis the party woh ould be trying to recover this disk be willing to spend on it ...a fdisk or low level format would basily whipe the disk, and cost a bundle to recover data from.

i don't know how fast this is, but a good program is Shiva, destroyer of files. http://www.rocketdownload.com/details/util/3301.htm
    and yeah, a really big magnet works well too
    -the hour has begun, your eyes are now opened-

Just noticed on Freshmeat

Darik's boot and nuke seems to do it.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

QUESTION: Does any program do the complete erase, just by booting the media, and WITHOUT prompting first. I'd like just to boot the system and forget it, so I can work on something else, then come back and have it be done. If someone knows of such a program, please post a link or send a private message.

Thanks,
    PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

All of these are ok in that they create varying levels of difficulty for an interested party to recover data. In my opionion the industrial magnet is the only one reallly worth considering though. The only way to be absolutely sure the data is unrecoverable is to melt the drive. There are technologies in use that will read a drive that has been reformatted, magnetically wiped and even cut into peices. I have seen several with my own eyes. Don't want it read...melt that thing down over some hot coals.
    For every animal you don\'t eat, I\'m gonna eat three....Maddox

I'd like to find a program that would run in the background, and with one hotkeystroke,,,,whoosh...gone. You know, something to have in case of er..emergencies?
    "The day we begin to die, is when we stop beliving in things that matter..."

We make the cost to the attacker greater than his/her gain by setting a very large hammer on a drive at a fast velocity. It has irrevocable effects, especially when used in Quickly As Possible mode. However, the rest of the computer is rendered useless.

Better wear safety glasses. Some bare platters shatter upon impact. Those are harder to piece together than platters that are cut, too.