Thread: dialup security

Question dialup security

Question:

I'm inside a corporation, dialing out on a modem through some sort of PBX or phone system. Can anyone monitor communications with my ISP from the PBX or phone system? I don't think the modem protocol is secure in any way is it?

Thanks..........

Depending on the PBX system it can moniter your connection, and your ISP can monitor your connection. Are you sure you are dialing out through your PBX, that should be a digital line and most modems cannot handle a digital line.

It is definetly analog, not sure what type of phone system. You have to dial 9 to get out kind of thing. I need to know if they can intercept the modem traffic and turn that back into the screen attributes, thus spy on whatever is being sent.

Thanks..................

Are you sure you are dialing out through your PBX, that should be a digital line and most modems cannot handle a digital line.
    Apparently they can handle both. I have both digital lines and analog lines going through my phone system at work...

I also had thought that it was only digital... but I was wrong.

If I can find any info about it, I'll post it...
    They normally don't let too much info out... as you need a username and password just to get access to the guides... Our install guys left me a username and password... now, if I can just find it...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by bhighland
    It is definetly analog, not sure what type of phone system. You have to dial 9 to get out kind of thing. I need to know if they can intercept the modem traffic and turn that back into the screen attributes, thus spy on whatever is being sent.

Thanks..................
    That all depends on the PBX system, but the data isn't encrypted by any means so someone could put some sort of packet sniffer at or around the PBX. The old Bell Labs PBX systems that I worked with basically had one built in, we could grab a stream of binary data and pipe a copy of it through whatever transport protocol they where using (zmodem, kermit, or term emulalator such as vt100) and watch a exact copy of what was happing...I don't know if the modern systems can do this but it wouldn't surprise me..Anyone at the PBX can listen to voice comunication..its just a matter of dropping a v.90 device (or whatever modem format you use) and generating and output form the stream.

Perhaps modems can handle digital now, last time I saw someone try it we ended up with a boss with egg on his face and a dead modem

switchs can record whos making/receiving calls, the time, duration and to/from where, usually using third party software on a computer attached to the switch. Add-ons can be purchased to capture info sent but this would be extremely expense. if your company is using dial-up connections i doubt if they would have such devices. everything PBX related is very expensive.It would be much more cost effective to use broad band and a proxy server to record your surfing.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”