Thread: ntfs partitions in linux

ntfs partitions in linux

can anybody help me in mounting my windows ntfs partitions in read/write mode in linux.........
    i was anle to successfully mount them in read mode only.........

You should start here http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ this will give you info on NTFS on Linux. Hope it helps.

Thanks,
    PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Antionline Herpetologist
    Please note that NTFS under Linux is experimental and VERY VERY dangerous. You can (and probably will) lose data trying this.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Please note that NTFS under Linux is experimental and VERY VERY dangerous.
    I'd like to second this...

I set it up on a test box of mine. RH8 and Win2k

The read part worked fine. The write didn't work all that well. I'm actaully very glad that it was a test box...

It seems that linux is good at reading from a NTFS and writing the file types to ext3 (which is what I was using) but it is not good at taking it from ext3 and writing to NTFS...

I'm sure that it will get better with time though. It always does.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Please note that NTFS under Linux is experimental and VERY VERY dangerous. You can (and probably will) lose data trying this.
    I'd like to third this if I may, I also set it up on a box running knoppix 3.1 installed on HD (using ext3) trying to access a test box running XP Pro. I'd agree the read part works fine, I've never had a problem with that (tried it with knoppix, full debian install, mandrake and RH) . Writing to NTFS nearly completely hosed the system..nsbuttar I really would think again if I were you.

Similarly I agree with phish - I'm sure it'll get better

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

NTFS in linux is a very bad Idea and will be for another year or two. Your best bet is to make a fat32 partition to share files between your linux and windows parttions.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Linux will read NTFS fine (which is still a good effort it being a "secure" filesystem and all) but write is still very much experiemental and I wouldn't do it on a drive you happened to have anything you wanna keep on it.
    Never argue with an idiot, they\'ll just bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

thx for all the information u guys provided and specially PuReExcTacy for providing me with the link to have technical information abt ntfs partitions and i will try to program to read ntfs partitions myself i was needing that information....

Once agains thnx everybody

I've been playing with ntfs and Linux the past few weeks.
    ( I even wrote a few pages on what I did with a drive partitioned completly with ntfs to add Linux )

For the 2.4.x kernel, the best you'll do is read ntfs ( without destroying anything )

For write, you'll need the 2.5.x kernel ( I had NO luck with patching the 2.4.x kernel with the new ntfs version ) but I have not played with 2.5.x yet, may have to wait; other projects are more pressing.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes