TypEing LIke THISS!!!! :P

Thread: TypEing LIke THISS!!!! :P

TypEing LIke THISS!!!! :P

This forum is about ethics right? Well i'm wondering how many people agree that some forms of typeing (often used by people on chat's and MSN) are so annoying that they should but considered ethically wrong. I have one friend that types with really hard to see colours, striked-out and emoticons more than words. Also i get annoyed by names like "``"Ha ha :0 |:| lol luv (L)``". Names should be less messy than that and is best if under one line long. Is it just me, or has our race gone colour letters and simlie crazy. I want to hear your oppinions and maybe we can agree as a group on some simple rules. Thanks.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

i totally agree... i've got a few friends who refuse to use chat/IM alltogether because of that stupid color/smiley/name thing. my name is simple enough and to me, it's still too long. hrm... if i were to make up any rules i'd have to include these:
    -no script fonts (or hard to read small fonts)
    -no word hilighting
    -no bright colors on light backgrounds (yellow on white, pink on white)
    -no odd, out of the ordinary, or super hard to remember names
    -no obsessive use of generic smilies to convey emotions. if you can't say it with words, it's probably not going to come across with graphics. (one instance where a picture is NOT worth a thousand words)
    -try to pick a name that has some scant trace of personal meaning... not just "studmuffin86" or "BuTtErFlY127"

keep addin to the list.. i'm sure all of y'all have issues with this same thing!
    -the hour has begun, your eyes are now opened-

that's my contribution...
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I'm agree, it takes me time to understand what lol, asap, imho, etc means. In a forum we are not limited by the length so write the words.

For the smiley, I differ a little. If you write a sentence which is sarcastic, adding explain that this sentence is a joke. But use them with parsimony.

Color must not be allow but italic or bold must be used to show a thing say by other or to show thing you want the people care about.

It seems I was misunderstood on emoticons. I Like them, when used sparingly. As a matter of fact i'm a fan of sticking a unique (at least amoung your friends) one in front of my name so that even if i change my name something signifies it's still me or in perminate name chats/forums/ect. i like to use the same one all the time (Ishbar).

I think there is a general consensous that colour and background must contrast. so let's try that list again and see what we can set as exact rules.

-no hard to read fonts
    -no word hilighting
    -font most strongly contrast background
    -no use names longer then one line or hard to read due to symbols
    -no obsessive use of generic smilies to convey emotions. 3 per line absolute MAX.
    -no use of numbers in name unless it holds meaning
    -don't use afk, brb, lol, gtg, ugg, asl, or any other internet confined acronyms on someone that has a good chance of not knowing what it means.

Anthing missed or improperly worded?
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Banned
    the way i look at it is kids will be kids , and there is nothing you can do about it , well except squint when the little buggers tYpE lIke tHis , and any adult who uses mixed case deserves a good slap upside their head.

I would not mind it so much, but i can never understand what they mean. ROFL,RTFM i always have to refer to that online chat speak dictionary.
    Now get off your bum and download it! www.linuxISO.com

If I am on I-M then I will use certian abbreviations and things so that I can type to them fast (ex. so where r u now cuz I called u) because 1. I am talking to a bunch of people 2. I'm doing something important and don't feel like talking to them 3. They are using I-M through their cellphone. But if I see someone on a forum that types incorrectly, [Cough] Worm Wood! [/Cough] Then it makes me mad that they didn't even take the time to write their post correctly. I could care less about how much people use Smileys though. Its their way to express themselves.
    [shadow]Vis Tecum Sit[/shadow]
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=371

Originally posted here by Ishbar
    -no hard to read fonts
    -no word hilighting
    -font most strongly contrast background
    -no use names longer then one line or hard to read due to symbols
    -no obsessive use of generic smilies to convey emotions. 3 per line absolute MAX.
    -no use of numbers in name unless it holds meaning
    -don't use afk, brb, lol, gtg, ugg, asl, or any other internet confined acronyms on someone that has a good chance of not knowing what it means.
    [/B]
    Hard to read font's I can agree with... same as a font/bg contrast.. but that's about it...

Word hilighting has been around since bbs days using either _ - * or all caps.. now people just have the option of using bold and italics as technology progresses.

As for names longer than one line, sometimes in my MSN, for example, i'll put a quote as my screen name... most people tend to still know who I am... because if ya don't know the person's email address then why the **** are they on your list.

emoticons (smileys) are great, and have also been around ages, just no programs turn : D into .. so that the non-geeks/people who haven't been using them for years can appreciate them more.... The reason they are great is because they allow you to display your mood in a conversation.... it's a lil easier to realize sarcasm when there's a after it... for example.

No numbers in a name...... Impossible... there are only so many names out there, and with chat/im programs you can't have the same name as someone else.... I suppose you can change your nickname on them, but yer actual login (the one that never changes) has to be unique. So it's common practice to add numbers or characters after your name if someone else already has it...

As far as internet acronyms....Again they've been around for a _LONG_ time... they're a part of internet culture... the same as car guys have their lingo and CB radio operators have their short forms..... You either learn them.. or leave.. it's a pretty simple concept.... It's kinda like saying people shouldn't speak a language other than English because you don't understand it....