Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is KAZAA & P2P SAFE?

I think many of the secuirty gurus out there overstate the risks.

Anecdotal evidence: Ive been using p2p as long as they have been in existance- No Firewall, No AV. I have gotten 1 virus that did nothing (it attacked outlook express, which i never use anyways)

Now of course people will point out that i could be trojanned/hacked, etc. But for me, so what? I make back ups- It takes all of 2 hours to reformat and reinstall. However, with three system drives, I could be up and running again in seconds after running a major virus. I dont have my machine running long enough at a time to make a reliable drone for a DDOS attack or something.

As a percentage of p2p users- I would estimate that 1 tenth of 1 percent even have the ABILITY to Hack using kazaa. Of those, even fewer have the time/desire. Chances of actually getting it- so small- might as well not exist.

The main avenue in secuirty is plain common sense. Gee, I wonder if the file named "microsoft universal key code works for everything!!!!!!!!!!" is a legit file? Fake files really arent too hard to spot. Also, its rare for a file had by a significant number of peope is a major virus. They wouldnt be sharing it too long if it was.

If your worried about the big bad RIAA, use an anonymous proxy.

So, in the end, sure there is a risk. However, people blow it out of proportion. For most home users, the only real risk is a headache.
    \"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand bianary and those who do not\"

spy sware

I recomend that you use this program, it goes throw your computer and scan it like a virus scaner looking for spy and ad ware and takes it off of your computer for you and there always updateing it.

http://lavasoft.element5.com/support/download/

Banned
    Now of course people will point out that i could be trojanned/hacked, etc. But for me, so what? I make back ups- It takes all of 2 hours to reformat and reinstall.
    Crackers dont use trojan ONLY to acces your computer to get files and information....they use it also to launch attack against more bigger companies and the even the government ....so you could get in deep Sh!7.....

in my opinion kazaa it´s one of the best music parade of the net but now days when i use kazaa sth make tha mi pc be slowly so sth is happening with kazaa........... dot'n use it

A test

Now of course people will point out that i could be trojanned/hacked, etc. But for me, so what? I make back ups- It takes all of 2 hours to reformat and reinstall. However, with three system drives, I could be up and running again in seconds after running a major virus. I dont have my machine running long enough at a time to make a reliable drone for a DDOS attack or something.
    You are also backing up the Trojan/virus, and reinstalling them. Unless you have a pre-p2p backup and nothing else has changed on your PC. I just did a little test, I turned on Kazaa Lite over the weekend and updated McAfee and turned on "On Access" scanning.

I didn’t search on .exe files. What I did was place an arbitrary word relating to sex into the search engine and just highlighted an entire group and left it over the weekend. These items were: .mpg, .avi, .jpg, .bmp, .mov etc. Media type files. Of course the ones that try picture.jpg.exe were also included since they come down in the search I enlisted. I had 18 virus warnings in my McAfee warning box when I came in after a couple of days. I then did the same thing on a popular Usenet group. The number of hits for positive Trojan identifications tripled. Sure actually infecting the computer is one thing, but with so many coming down, it is a high possibility if you are not careful.

I run all the recommended things, Zone Alarm, McAfee, Spybot, etc. and I am one of the most careful people at watching extensions and tweaking security and I STILL get 1 or 2 virus' a year! Most attempts at depositing a Trojan on your PC are just stupid, but some are VERY clever, and some are distributed by file shares that your have NO control over, unless you leave your PC unplugged. In fact one of them came down through a web site I accidentally popped on one day by fat fingering a URL. That one was new and Virus scanners didn’t pick it up until a few days later. There was not window asking me to install something on my pc, it just did it! That entire IP space is now blocked.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I need some help lol
    I installed Edonkey2000 and EMule
    now the problem is I uninstalled the Edonkey2000 and every time i click on a link to download from http:www.sharereactor.com it sais something that it cannot find ed2k software
    I dont want to use Edokey2000, id rather use EMULE but my system's default is still EDonkey200

anyway i can change it to EMule or completely uninstall EDonkey2000 so i have only EMule left?

To say it like this there is no p2p that is 100% safe
    You are always taking a risk with downloading every song, movie, game and so on
    The best way to prevent it is to not do it at all
    If you do it update your antivirus regularly maybe once i week

Another tuth is that some hackers can embed the .dat extensions to various virii and trojan. Kazaa not being safe is an understatement, the true levity of the whole p2p idea is that it is not governed by a central sever and at times users forget this. Keep all fiewall and AV software up to date and burn files onto disk (dont keep them for long on your hdd!!) You should have enough security then> Also remember that YOU MUST SCAN AFTER EVERY DOWNLOAD! That will keep you safe to some degree.

i use Kazaa lite2.0.2 with an antivirus and ZA . Recently i have noticed that kazaa, imediately after start, runs a scan for virus for the MyShared folder of Kazaa, namely bullguard. A link leads to the site of kazaa written bullguard , av for p2p. However, i noticed that it connects to a cydoor site for scripts.(http://jcms.cydoor.com/scripts/cms/JCReport.asp?--truncated)
    on the sniffer, another to a certificate site , verisign..
    Any one seeing similar...

Originally posted here by XxMeMorYxX
    I need some help lol
    I installed Edonkey2000 and EMule
    now the problem is I uninstalled the Edonkey2000 and every time i click on a link to download from http:www.sharereactor.com it sais something that it cannot find ed2k software
    I dont want to use Edokey2000, id rather use EMULE but my system's default is still EDonkey200

anyway i can change it to EMule or completely uninstall EDonkey2000 so i have only EMule left?
    help plz

emonkey/mule

I have never used those OR heard of them until today. Looks like they are p2p since emonkey boasts "The worlds larges music resource" of some bs like that. I can offer some advise though. Unintall both, run spybot or spy detector of choice, then re-install the one you like...
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.