Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remotely lock or disable the keyboard and mouse

Remotely lock or disable the keyboard and mouse

Does anyone have any idea how i can lock or disable the keyboard and mouse on serveral PC's remotely?

A member of staff at the school where i work is trying to find a way of getting the kids to listen to him at the start of class, all they seem to do is come in2 the class room logon to the computers, mess around, ignore him and get no work done.

So the way I look at it if he could lock or disable there keyboards remotely they can do sod all until he enables them or unlocks them!

I have been looking for a while for a solution; so far I have looked at:
    Remotely stopping the keyboard and mouse service via a script (I8042PRT.SYS via the Netsvc.exe command)
    Disabling the local keyboard and pointer via VNC’s server software, but ever tried to VNC 30 clients at once? It will eat away at network performance
    Looked in vain for a utility, which I can install locally and activate remotely

Any help would be very much appreciated,
    Thanks in advance

Erm,

Not sure if this is a question which we really want to help with. sounds a bit suspect.

If this is genuine I could rattle up a proggie to do it.

You would have to give me the 30 computer names or ip addresses.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    These might help. I was trying to find one that I've seen a colleague use and it was effective. Even if students rebooted the machine he'd end up controlling it via his machine:

http://www.beacontech.com.tw/english...cts/wss560.htm

http://www.smarttech.com/products/sy...eyes/index.asp <-- I think it was this one.

Mark, it's not suspect. It's very frustrating to teach with thirty keyboards clacking away. This technology is quite nice in that you can "push" a powerpoint presentation on to the students and that sorta forces their attention to what you are doing rather than what their buddies are doing. It also minimizes the "net send" problem.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks for the quick reply and links! i will take i look at them after lunch... As for IP adderess i can PM you a scope of IP addresses, but we do use DCHP so they will not remain static. As for names; they would be:

r18-01
    to
    r18-30

Thanks for your help on this!

Talking I see the point mittens.

I just thought it was suspect that

a. the student would post the message
    b. the student would want to disable all keyboards in the class.

Oh you don't have much to worry about the students around here, they can barely type there name in word! A word of warning, we are looking for a low cost solution and something simple

It can be done in Visual Basic

If you want ultra Low cost I can do it in Visual Basic For You.

We can sort out a favour in return.

Thanks for the offer! I dont mean to be rude but what sort of favour are you looking for?
    i will go speak the ICT Department and upper management team about it this afternoon

My Favour

I reckon its maybee a couple of hours coding.

Look at the picture for a rough idea of what it could look like and e-mail me with any other buttons or things you want on it before I start coding.

I see you are in the UK. erm 20 regal kingsize sounds about right.

Mark_boyle2002 -- powered by Regal and Irn Bru