Was burning a CD --> System crashed. Need help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was burning a CD --> System crashed. Need help

Was burning a CD --> System crashed. Need help

Hello.
    Though the problem I'm outlining below doesn't have much to do with MS security, I'd be very grateful for any help. Also, could anyone direct me to a reliable Windows Help forum, the kind that we usually find for Linux.

I'm using Windows 2000, Professional Edition. I was burning a CD using Nero's CD-to-CD copy option. As this option hasn't ever worked on my ASUS drive, I unchecked the 'on-the-fly' option, i.e., Copy from Source Drive to HDD and then to Target Drive.

The CD reading worked fine, and the source CD ejected. Writing began, but the system crashed (blue-screen stuff) with something about 'Writing a memory dump'. After waiting 10 minutes or so without any development, I rebooted.

System booted, no problem with BIOS, and then windows started up. (The Microsoft Logo, with that blue status bar, saying 'Windows starting up'). Then the whole thing crashes, with a
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and some memory addresses in hex. The message reads out 'If this is the first u're seeing this message, reboot your computer. If recurring, check for viruses and remove any new HDDs and device controllers. Use CHKDSK /F to check for HDD corruption.'

I've tried rebooting several times, but still the same result. Its not starting even in Safe Mode.

My view: Nero reads the CD into a temp folder before copying into the target CD, rite? So, possible that this storage could be writing into some boot-critical area on the HDD? Yeah, I know, sounds too dumb but just a thought.

So, guys what do I do? My HDD has two partitions, C for the OS and D for data. I'd rather not go about reinstalling W2k on C, I don't have a backup of personal folders such My Documents, Photos etc.

Thanks for reading all the way. Hope someone can help.
    _Scim
    _scimitar_

I have similar problems while burning CD's. When using Windows 98; I could only burn 3 CD's then had to reboot. Windows 2000 Pro allowed me to burn 6 - 8 CD's before rebooting.
    Also, have just put a low quality CD/RW into my burner....and the computer rebooted.
    A bad CD/RW froze my system (down to the network connections).
    Personally, I think it's a memory problem (bleeding ? not being released back to the computer fast enough) Hopefully others will have more info for 'us'.

If that was the problem what I would do would be to copy all of my documents and stuff into the data drive and reinstall windows on your c: drive. Thats the long hard way but I really couldn't tell you anything else if its not even letting you boot up into safe mode. I guess one last thingk you could try would be to unplug you cd drives just for the hell of it.

Good Luck
    =

Thank you Cheyenne, but I did unplug the CD drives, though that didn't change anything.

Regarding backing up of data on the C drive (especially the Documents and Settings folder) how can I do that? I used a Win98 boot disk, but I can't see my D drive. I have A: which is the boot disk, C: which is the actual C drive, D: --> MS-RAMDRIVE. I think this is some sort of temporary drive that win98 bootdisk makes. But I can't see the actual D drive. E and F refer to the CD-ROMs. Beyond that, there isn't any recognized drive letter.

Is there anyway I can back up my C drive folders to D?

thanx,
    _Scim
    _scimitar_

I cant help you with the burning problem. but the best way to fix windows would be to boot from the install cd and repair windows. this will "re-install" windows without changing much of the info stored on your comp already
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

I had a similar problem a while ago, I updated to the latest ASAPI Drivers and that fixed the problem. Does the same thing happen when you burn an Image file or multiple files from the hard drive, or just when you copy a disk?
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Okay, backed up my C folder stuff to D using the Linux partition. (Its a good thing that was working!!). So now C drive is well on its way to being reformatted with a fresh install of W2k.

But getting back to the issue of 'Repair-Install', that Trust_me_not talked about, I tried that, but it keeps asking for Emergency Repair Disks, which I had never had the foresight to maintain. Nevertheless, the alternative was that the Repair Install would 'Locate Windows 2000 on the HDD and repair it'. That didn't work either. Wierd. But thanx for the input Trust_me_not.

Hey, Wazz, hi. I never have problem burning anything from the HDD, its only when I do CD-CD copy. But maybe a new install might fix things. And, educate me if u can spare a moment: what are ASAPI drivers? Thanx

Thank you all,

_Scim
    _scimitar_

Have you checked the free space on youre c: drive..?

When you burn CD's then programs comonly use the temp directory to work, but in Windows the "temp" is just a folder not a partition like Linux, so if you full youre HD. the sistem coud block, hang or as you experimented, dont boot.

Check for this and remove the temporary imformation of youre Windows system (best if do it from Linux).

Hope help you. xDrack

Whoooops, Typo....The ASPI Drivers, not ASAPI....sorry got the flu kinda out of it. The ASPI Layer is a collection of programs to identify the ASPI interface (your CD-R\CD-RW). These files help avoid problems in communicating and interpreting commands to/from the CDROM/CD-R. I think Adaptec has a utility to check the integrity of your drivers...or at least an update for you. Hope this helps...
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Thanx for that info Wazz. Got it back up and working. Fresh Install. Thanx everyone for your help.
    I guess this closes the thread? Or am I supposed to do that explicity? (or just let it pass into oblivion?).. Anyway, laterz all, thanx again
    _Scim
    _scimitar_