Thread: Pakistan ISP fighting back DoS annoyance!?

Pakistan ISP fighting back DoS annoyance!?

Director IT Maintenance (ITM) of PTCL, Mazhar Amin explained that an effort to trace initiators of DOS attacks had been initiated. PTCL has approached Asia Pacific Network Information Center (APNIC) to locate the hackers through Internet Protocol (IP) and curtail such attacks. Almost all ISPs have net access from PTCL except a select few, which use independent links through International Private Leased Circuits (IPLC).
    Will ISP finally take contermeasure against DoS ... a hope is emerging.... from Pakistan.

Full article http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-4-2003_pg7_13
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Tracing wont be easy, Nobody is dumb enough to Dos from their own boxes,
    Plus it's mighty easy to infect with Ddos bots, and people all over are doing it, flooding and ddosing every thing that breathes electricity.

Hacker tracking is expensive, time consuming and just not worth the effort unless, it's a serious breach or breach attempt. The best countermeasure in that case, is probably to reconfigure the firewalls and routers, to deny certain traffic, and or limiting the incomming traffic.

Thanks,
    PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Yeah Dagreat1 u must b rigth tracking is hard, painful & expensive but...

in my opinion DDOS attack cannot be mitigate without an ISP contribution:

- in term of prevention: a real good first measure is to implement anti-spoofing policy to any ISP customer. If the Pakistan do so they will prevent Zombie to participate into the terrible reflected attack, at least for their internal suscribers. Therefore then an attack occur they will know that's coming from external/foreign ISPs and react with commercial penalties.

- In term of tracking: By implementing anti spoofing contermeasures the ISP can log
    D(r)DOS participating Zombie attemps, an loacte infected computers.
    I'am pretty sure that a highly skilled team of cyber cops can track the hacker by observing the flows between the zombie and the hacker.
    For instance remember evilbot that's based on IRC to exchange sig/order between zombie and hacker. A good team coulmd track the sig and fiught back the hacker. It's expensive in term of human ressources but i think very efficient.

That's a very interesting subject & it's hard to find good paper about, i'll be happy to know about your felling about how DDOS can be fight back!

[shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Question Interesting!!!

Salaams!
    Good to know that they are putting some efforts to stop DDOS. If you remember Networker, Pakistan's official site www.pakistan.gov.pk was DDOS by indian snakes recently by Yaha-Q. They even DOSed the temp uploaded www.pakinfo.gov.pk running in place of the original one...
    I think, a response was expected and good to see it's positive...
    Let's keep our fingers crossed and behold!
    tc,
    FEE IMANILLAH
    Life would have been alot easier if I had the source code!

That's a very interesting subject & it's hard to find good paper about, i'll be happy to know about your felling about how DDOS can be fight back!
    It's hard, Yes.. But one has to look a little down the lane.

http://www.hackingdynasty.com/site/s...os_protect.zip

A very thorough paper.