Thread: Two questions about Mandrake 9.1

Two questions about Mandrake 9.1

I just installed Man 9.1 and I would like to know where I can find a firewall for it or documents on how to secure it. Second, I would like to get a copy of Wine but I am not sure which version to get. Ok, that is all. Thank you.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

You already have the firewall--iptables, built right into the kernel. If you don't want to take the time to learn how to configure it alone, you can use a program designed to do it for you. On your mandrake 9.1, you should have shorewall. It's what I have and if you read through its help files, and on the website http://www.shorewall.net , you shouldn't have much of a prob at all. It's really pretty self-explanatory.
    I've also heard people recomend gShield as a config. If you want an IDS, look up snort. Antivirus (even though you don't need it as much as on a windows box) get f-prot.

About wine, I don't know, I keep xp around for things i need to run on windows.

Hey if you wish to doit simply and easy, you can go to the Mandrake Control Center, Network and click on FireWall, then follow the wizard and youre done.

and for wine, (is a very good soft) go to www.winehq.com and download the newest release, in youre favorite file type tar.gz or rpm.

I sugest the rpm because is more simply to install.

xDrack.

Thumbs up

I did it. That was suprisingly VERY easy. Thank you both for your help.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Did you coud start youre windows again....?

xDrack

Oops forgeth my last post. I was in the wrong board.

But good for you, with youre firewall and wine

xDrack