Thread: Secrets and Lies

Post Secrets and Lies

"Secrets and Lies: Digital Security in a Networked World" by Bruce Schneier

Got it at an ITEC show a few months back, wondering if anyone else has read it? if so, what do you think?

-Keisha
    www.notinourname.net
    www.nion.us

Read them.

Whats the book about?

lol I see you in CCNA Semester 1 also.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Keisha,

I've read it a few months ago. It gives a good overview of the issues surrounding network security, going further than just the technical aspects.

If you are new to the world of network security, it's a very good starter book.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

i had to read it for my network security class, and didn't care for it. it really didn't offer any insight or solutions, just "you better secure your network or else!." the author was one of the designers of the blowfish algorithem, and a few parts about encryption were interesting, but nothing you couldn't find in a encryption text book.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Keisha,

Book is cool. It tells you about network security like BrainStop said earlier.

If you want to read it. GO 4 IT!

Enjoy book!

I am half waay thru the book right now and like it. It gives good Insight to Crypto and some other things. Kind of Opinionated, but take it with grain of salt.
    good so far!
    Mindpilot

You can tell lot about a person by how they handle these 3 things: Rainy Days, Lost Luggage, and Tangled Christmas tree lights

Nice book. I just started reading it, but it really opened my eyes to how unsecured many systems are.

This is an excellent book to have management read if you want to further convince them of the importance of budgeting for a more comprehensive, multi-layered security approach. I like it, but I immediately passed onto my boss. I'm my experience, most non-technical decision makers usually say, "well, we spent all that money on a firewall, isn't that enough?"

Eye opening book. Very good.