Brand New to Linux

Thread: Brand New to Linux

Brand New to Linux

Hi, this may sound so very silly but I am running Redhat 8, I just got it set up for me yesterday and I am using Konqueror for browsing and I was wondering, how do I set it to load a homepage? It always loads the linux links and I would like it to load google. I am very new so bare with me. thanx.

Im not at a box with konqueror now, but, if I remember correctly it is similar to netscape in terms of where to set that stuff...

Edit pulldown menu, select preferences.

I think the home page setting is on the front when that window opens. If not, it is somewhere there.

Just Another Geek
    Hehe. Better set that start page on google and use it the next time.
    Because it's your first post here I will let it slide and not neg you for it

Welcome to AO btw.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

hey,
    First it not silly .
    Now, launch Konquerer of coarse,
    Pull down Settings,
    click on Configure Konquerer
    click on the left icon called Behavior.
    see the box called Home url type in your home page.
    click Apply
    click OK
    and ya should be OK.

The post wasn't silly, but it could have been avoided. Before asking others, it's alway good to RTFM. I'm sure there is a Help drop down menu on the browser...
    I\'m back.

My best sugestion for you is to look up a local LUG in google. There should be one close to where you live (probably at the local JC). Go to a meeting and you will meet a lot of people very knowladgable about Linux. They will be able to help you with just about any question and are useualy more then happy to show a newbi the ropes.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Just Another Geek
    For all those that negged me for my post:

Prooch is smart enough to get Linux installed. This is no small feat for a beginner. Prooch also found out how to install and start KDE. Again no small feat. He also appears to know about google. So how come it's not a silly question when he cannot seem to find the preferences screen in Konquerer?
    Oliver's Law:

Dunno SirDice,

I just got it set up for me yesterday
    i read that as he had someone else set it up for him and as for your other comment about not negging that was like saying "seeing as your so ugley I won't break ya nose"..

not to seem that I am picking on you..
    We are here about learning, and the reason for chastising the noob's and sending them off to Google isn't because we are mean hearted (well most of us), but it is to help you learn..
    Yes, tell the posters of the simple questions to go to Google, but don't threaten them with a black eye.. to the noob's that is what a neg is to them.. too many of those and we lose a potential helper for our own future problems..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    i read that as he had someone else set it up for him and as for your other comment about not negging that was like saying "seeing as your so ugley I won't break ya nose"..
    Hmm. And I thought the smiley was a dead give-away I didn't mean it
    Maybe I'm just cynical.
    Oliver's Law: