Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NT drives revealed

NT drives revealed

This isn't really for me it is actually a favour I am doing for my schools I.T. technician. the problem is that on ''my computer'' all the drives are there for everyone to see and access the school is running win nt. my IT technician has tried and tried and cannot work out how to hide the unwanted drives if anyone can help I would highly appreciate it.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Turn off file and printer sharing in the network properties.......

Get a new IT tech.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

If its a domain environment then he can setup NTFS permissions and group policy to hide them. You can also setup the share as hidden in the share properties and then instead of connecting via network neighborhood connect using a login script and net use.

but that will get rid of the H: G: & A: drives of which everyone needs to access won't it?

plus the printer also needs to be accessed

Hmm, I guess you're having trouble preventing unwanted users from locally accessing physical (non-removeable) drives?

If they are NTFS, you can change the ACL on the root directory (not recommended on the system volume), to anything you like, which is fine.

If they are not NTFS, that is more problematic.

However, changing the ACL won't hide them, just make them inaccessible.

Originally posted here by dac0braman
    but that will get rid of the H: G: & A: drives of which everyone needs to access won't it?

plus the printer also needs to be accessed
    Ahh missunderstood your question, assumeing this is in a domain you cna do this with group policy editor, and manditory profile. Just build the profile with everything missing that you want missing, force every one to use that profile and put them all in a group that cannot change the desktop. I would also make the tech study for an MCSE, I am useualy ant-cert but this is stuff that any MCSE training should go through (I know I worked for two difrent training centers)

1 word: policies

Have him look up poledit.exe (policy editor).
    It allows for configuration of pretty much everything in the winNT user environment...

In W2k, this has been replaced by group policies with active directory

Of course having the drives not show up in windows explorer is mostly a cosmetic thing, or at best security through obscurity, so he really should set NTFS permissions/ACL too...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

You can do it with tweakui.

it's at ZD-NET here: http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-...ml?tag=lst-0-1

as far as I know that's the latest version.

Considering the apparent knowledge of your IT tech person, here's how you install it.

1. Download the exe file to your desktop.

2. Execute it, and tell it to extact to your desktop

3. Right click on 'tweakui.ini' and select install (it's genuine, no stupid changes are made by it)

4. goto control panel and double click on the tweak ui icon.

5. Select the 'My Computer' tab.

6. Unselect all the drive leters you want windows to specifically hide.

7. When your done making all the changes you want, goto the 'control panel' tab and unselect the tweak ui control so random people can't come back and change your settings.

I'm not sure how to reenable it or run it from the command line, it's something like 'rundll tweakui.cpl' but it has something that has to come after that for it to work.

There's your solution, but be careful the first time around, and backup your registry just in case

TweakUI isn't the best way to pull this off, as it has to be done at every machine and can be easly undone. poledit and manditory profiles is your best bet...assumeing you are running a domain. If the network is in a work gorup you need a new tech
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Originally posted here by UpperCell
    You can do it with tweakui.

it's at ZD-NET here: http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-...ml?tag=lst-0-1

as far as I know that's the latest version.

Considering the apparent knowledge of your IT tech person, here's how you install it.

1. Download the exe file to your desktop.

2. Execute it, and tell it to extact to your desktop

3. Right click on 'tweakui.ini' and select install (it's genuine, no stupid changes are made by it)

4. goto control panel and double click on the tweak ui icon.

5. Select the 'My Computer' tab.

6. Unselect all the drive leters you want windows to specifically hide.

7. When your done making all the changes you want, goto the 'control panel' tab and unselect the tweak ui control so random people can't come back and change your settings.

I'm not sure how to reenable it or run it from the command line, it's something like 'rundll tweakui.cpl' but it has something that has to come after that for it to work.

There's your solution, but be careful the first time around, and backup your registry just in case
    I have just downloaded tweakui from the location that you have stated above and there is no tweakui.ini file all I have is --- tweakui.cnt - tweakui.cpl - tweakui.hlp - tweakui.inf please help I am very confused