Bug in winxp default zip manager...

Thread: Bug in winxp default zip manager...

Banned

Bug in winxp default zip manager...

||| I AM VERY SORRY FOR MY POOR ENGLISH % cauz i am in hurry...|||

a copy of this file have been forwarded to Microsoft too...

READ the instruction carefully/throw

live demonstration ....

http://www.geocities.com/visitbipin/winxp_zip_bug.zip

bug in ... windows default zip manager...

ok look at a bat program ...

:hel
    md 1
    cd 1
    goto hel

and another batch program...in c drive root...

md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3
    md 3
    cd 3

ok ... the actual bug is... as you know as in the batch program at the top...most ... windows create a directory... after another ... after another... and so on... continuously to about 120 subfolder's and can't create any more... dir's so it ends with error >>> 'can't create to file specified... or....??? look yourself
    then look around the 2nd batch program...

it creates many folders ...in a folder ... and again in a folder.... several times.... right ...

here the exploit being's.....

WINDOWS DEFAULT ZIP MANAGER CAN'T EXTRACT FOLDER'S HAVING MORE THAN 120 SUB DIRECTORIES... AND IF IT HAS TO... IT ASSUMES AS IF IT IS PASSWORD PROTECTED AND ASKS FOR PASSWORD ... EVEN WHEN NO PASSWORD IS SET... ((( so the job can't be accomplished)))

DEMONSTRATION:
    open the zip file...(exploit demonstration) and click the batch file "click_me_first.bat " it creates20 dir's...named 1 right...

then open the 20th sub folder... the last one... \1\1\1\1..\ .............. and so on ...>>> the 20th subfolder...

now open the batch file named .... copy_me.bat

it will create 120 folders named 3 ....and start error... so stop the bath job aster windows can create no more dir's

now zip the dir named 3 ...>>> with winxp default zip manager ....( the dir named3 has 120 subfolder's in it...RIGHT ... ) and copy it to the 20th folder (sub-directory) of the directory named 1... and now man try extracting the dir from there ....

i mean....

the folder named 1 is in c:\ (root ) ... it has 20 subdirectories in it..... go to the 20th directory (the last one ) ... and copy the zip file that has 120 folders >>> sub-dir's in it.... right ???

and try extracting the file from there ... with WinZip default zip manager... you will be soon asked for ... enter password... ???
    but you haven't set any password... nowhere right....

its because of the very long... directories length ... 20 +120 dirs from your root... so winxp can't extract the file and the default zip manager assumes it to be password protected ... and halts and asks for password....
    ---------------
    trust me this trick could be used to fool some brutal force software's too...

Banned
    Here is a fact about windows...
    WINDOWS CAN'T CREATE MORE THAN 120 subfolder's <counting from root directory>

example :
    c:\1\1\1\1\1\...upto 120'th dir

so if you can manage to put a file in 130'th sub dir... and zip it... <there is a complex trick behind it>
    example:-
    c:\1\1\1\1\1\...upto 129'th dir\your file

there is no way a file could be obtained or extracted...

so some softwares end up with,
    enter your password message and some software end up with the message... the zip file is corrupt ;-)