Thread: Pe_hantaner.a

er0k

Pe_hantaner.a

Well, as for my research via simple scans, this virus is windows based and infects via p2p apps. My question to you all is what kinda damage can it do? Search your computer for .RDO files and see if you have it, its apparently very common amongst all doze platforms. I would just like to know the reprocussions of the virus, i have noticed that it spreads very rapidly, but haven't seen any reg harm or anything..

This is the only virus ive ever had on my comp, and when I got it read up on it. First off, its nothing to worry about, it stays within your shared folder and does not leave. It infects .exe files making them unable to opean.It is kept in a system restore reg key, the easiest way of cleaning the virus is to goto my comp, properties and goin to the system reastore option. disable the system restore function, restart and then turn it back on, and your clean.BTW if you try and clean it with a AV you will be unable to since it is in use at all times, it will nto clean it, but as soon as you do the above instructions you should be fine.
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.

er0k
    cool dude thanks.

Originally posted here by hatebreed2000
    This is the only virus ive ever had on my comp, and when I got it read up on it. First off, its nothing to worry about, it stays within your shared folder and does not leave. It infects .exe files making them unable to opean.It is kept in a system restore reg key, the easiest way of cleaning the virus is to goto my comp, properties and goin to the system reastore option. disable the system restore function, restart and then turn it back on, and your clean.BTW if you try and clean it with a AV you will be unable to since it is in use at all times, it will nto clean it, but as soon as you do the above instructions you should be fine.
    AV scanners can remove this, and any other known virus, if booted from the 'recovery/rescue disk'.
    This is a DOS floppy created by your AV scanner that can read FAT or NTFS systems.
    It loads the current AV signature file, and scans your HDD, squashing viruses as it finds them. As it is a DOS boot, the files are no longer in use.
    System restore will potentially undo this, so as hatebreed2000 says, turn it off first!

W32.HLLP.Handy is a virus that prepends itself to the files in the KaZaA download folder and the Internet Explorer default download folder. It is written in the Borland Delphi programming language and is compressed with UPX.

Also Known As: W32/HLLP.Hantaner [McAfee], Win32.HLLP.Hantaner [KAV], PE_HANTANER.A [Trend], Win32.HLLP.Handy [CA], W32/Hantaner-A [Sophos]
    Type: Virus
    Infection Length: 24,064 bytes
    Systems Affected: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Me
    Systems Not Affected: Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Linux
    this extra info from Symantec .. http://securityresponse.symantec.com...llp.handy.html

Cheers..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Dead Man Walking
    norton auto protect catches this one on the fly. Its poped up in a couple .dat files from kazaa lite. it wont delete it because of the d/l in progress but if you stop the d/l and erase the file you should be fine. its just like everything else on the internet... gota watch what your doing