Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your Bad Experience infested with Virus?

Talking What is your Bad Experience infested with Virus?

Well,i will share my really bad experience of being infested with 2 difference viruses and cause my system to get infested with the viruses on 200 over files within 1hrs.Although my antivirus is able to clean that up but causing some of the system files to get missing and endup i have format my hard disk.This is the worse experience that i ever have and how about you?

I have seen several infections. I get people come in with their PCs infected with viruses all the time. It amazes me how bad it can get.

A while ago, I was very curious how viruses work. So... I setup a test "network".

I just hooked 2 test boxes together and didn't put them on my network nor give them access to the web. I didn't install antivirus and I installed a couple of utilities such as filemon and regmon from www.systernals.com

I collected several viruses, of different sorts. I then created a batchfile to execute all of the viruses one after another. I had the filemon and regmon up and running.

I got pretty much the same results on both machines... and I was barely able to save the logfiles from filemon and regmon.

I ran the bachfile and let the viruses go crazy for a couple of hours.

The machines were useless afterwords.
    I'm not sure if I still have the log files... If I can find them, I'll attach them.

School is coming to an end pretty quickly... so maybe I'll do it again with newer viruses.

I'll have to track some of em down... but pretty confident I can find quite a few on p2p and virus archives... how bout the AO archive? lol There are plenty of places to find them.

Pretty interesting though...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

lol same here. i had a client using 2 AV Sofwares and 2 firewalls, and his PC was infested with viruses and dialers. he didnt bother checking the Start Up in his msconfig. another proof that its not what you have that makes ur computer safe, its how u use them.

Summer 2000 (I believe) I was working as a computer technician intern at my school system. Starting my summer job about 3 weeks before the end of school. My direct superior Walked into the shop with a large bundle of papers, a coffe stain on his shirt, and a grim smirk on his face.
    "Disconnect all infected computers from the network, yeah right hehe" he said in a depressed tone.
    We asked him what he was talking about, he waved us off a bit and turned on his shop computer.
    He is the head technician for our small school system. A bachelors in political science, fresh out of college about 6 weeks ago. He calls computers a hobbie, and he's got 4 schools with about 4-500 computers that he's responsible for, especially for the next two weeks, as the system administrator is on vacation before the upgrades began durring summer break. Luckilly for him, these are supposed to be among the quietest and most cheerfull weeks of the year, right before the summer. The fact that these are the few days in the year when the IT infrastructure of the county was absolutely depended upon to process the results of several thousand exams and year final grades and report cards wasn't supposed to be an issue.

We queried him again.
    "Just a second, I've just gotta make sure" he said hesitantly.
    After a minute or two while we waited at our respective computers browsing pricewatch.com and tweak3d.com, he spoke.
    "I'm pretty sure that about 60% of the computers on the network have a god damned virus."

To us this news was intriguing... our first major experience with a network wide virus. To him it was a nightmare. I would have hatted to be him right then

I honestly can't remember exactly which virus that one was, we played with a lot of them. It might have been a flavor of klez, but i can't remember if that does anymore than email itself around. whatever it was it could spread by email, the 1 character password thing in win 9x shares, and infected exe's. We managed to keep it off the servers. but we had to do complete reinstalls on countless systems. That's all we did well into the summer was clean up fallout from that stupid virus. We didn't get the work order list back to 'real time' where we're fixing stuff as it comes in until a few weeks before the next school year.

yeah, that sucked, I think I'm now immune to worrying about viruses on single systems customers bring in. We also recovered some of the systems at the schools as we learned more about what the virus did. So they don't bother me anymore, cleanups like second nature... (like the story? it's a little over dramatized, but the numbers are all right, just wanted to make it interesting )

UpperCell:

Sounds like your school needs a corporate edition of AV...

I use norton antivirus corp edition . Set it and forget it. It downloads updates daily (if there is one) and pushes out the def files automagically. I have not had any serious infection at work for bout 2 years.

Aside from that, make sure AV is running on mail servers and proxy servers. Anything that is a would be virus, gets caught at the front door and doesn't make it very far.

Since then, I've only seen viruses on floppies. Stupid users bringing in floppies from previous employment and get all pissed when I throw away their work that can't be saved.

The only problem with all that is... resources. Sure takes up quite a bit of resources and I had to upgrade several of the machines just so they could work. I've since replaced 90% of those PCs and they are generally round 1.6-2.0ghz with 512mb ram. Very nice workstations...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

you are very wise phishphreek80. As of July 2001 the entire network is using that very product. Now wether they can keep it nice is another story we never had a problem with resources, but that was the same year we 'purged' everything under 450 mhz from the system. So we were pretty good off from that standpoint.

My first (and hopefully only) expericne with a virus infection is no where near as looming as the ones already mentioned, but it was rather annonying, and prooved to be a learning experience. At the point in time when my system became infected, I was without AV or Firewall (I'm almost ashamed to mention it now) so I was prettymuch wide open to the entire world, but somehow I only got infected with one virus. JS/Kak@M was the annoying virus to latch itself onto my computer. Fortunately for me it was not a destructive virus, but rather a nagging one which would deny me the ability to use my computer on the first of every month. After cleaning it off my system, I got amazinly paranoid, so now my AV system updates every night and also runs a complete system scan nightly as well. I've yet to get a virus since then, though I have seen many get plucked up by AVG and tossed in the Vault.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Oh.. a FYI for those who may consider NAV corp edition...

It doesn't seem to like to play nice with XP. There is a patch for it though...
    Also... not that you'd be using 95 or 98... but if you are... your PC won't shutdown properly.

There is a registry tweak that you can apply to make it work with it.

But... if you're using 95 or 98 on your network... you have much larger problems to deal with.

When I was finishing college, about a year or so ago, we were hit bad by the nimda virus. Because it hopped from computer to computer using open shares, we had to power off the switches and routers, so that the pc's couldn't talk and go one by one removing the virus from infected computers. That was one waste of a good afternoon, but the pizza the admin bought for us made it all worth it.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

I've got 2 stories... both kinda short (I hope as I really wanna go to bed.. but I really am addicted)

1)

When nimda came out, it infected our HS network hardcore, hit nearly every computer. and we're talking a school board wide infection. 12 high schools, prolly 30+ public schools, and all the admin offices.. and this wasn't just a city.. this covered around 160000 km^2 (gotta love Northern Ontario). So they modified the logon script to include running fixnimda. They figured this would fix it.. (I love network admins sometimes)... anyways.. since not every computer was logged onto at the same time, some would get fixed, but then it would spread from other computers back to the cleaned ones... Finally they go board wide and clean the problem, and one principal get's an email with it and runs the damned virus again. Hey look they started all over.

2)

A friend of mine, when CIH first came out, was hit pretty hard. But being against AVs.. he decided to just leave it alone.... a few weeks later he had a computer that wouldn't boot because he had a fubar'd bios/cmos on his motherboard...

now i'm really going to bed..

g'nite