Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Antivirus test

Thumbs up Simple Antivirus test

After installing your favorite antivirus, you may logically wonder, how do I know if it's working? The answer is a test virus.

The EICAR Standard AntiVirus Test File is a combined effort by anti-virus vendors throughout the world to implement one standard by which customers can verify their anti-virus installations.

To test your installation:

1. Open Notepad or any text editor.

2. Paste this script:

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

File size will be 68 or 70 bytes.

3. Save the file as EICAR.COM
    Use "Save As" and choose "All Files" as file type before saving.

Note that upon saving your antivirus software should detect the file as a virus.
    Note that this file is NOT A VIRUS.
    Delete the file when you have finished testing your installation to avoid detection.

This will not cause any harm to your system.

I have yet to see any antivirus not detect these files...

If you don't want to do all of the above... the files can be downloaded here.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Talking

Great!~~~It works!
    Gundamdriver

Antionline Herpetologist
    Norton doesn't seem to detect it. I have Norton 2003 with all the latest defs (updated just 5 mins back).
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

HAHAHA, McAfee detects the file defore it's started downloading, thats rather stupid, checking by Filename other than Fingerprint. oh well....
    I'v been looking for that string

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Norton doesn't seem to detect it. I have Norton 2003 with all the latest defs (updated just 5 mins back).
    Strange... I got it to work from NAV 2k2, 2k3 and corp edition.

I used the one from the download page though (linked in my post above), rather than creating it myself....
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by cgkanchi
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    wierd......
    my nav2k3 on xp home detects the string as soon as i hit save as......it even detects the string if i save the file as anything.com or even anything.bat and i havent updated my viri defs. since the past 3 days!!! :-D...
    buying M$ OS is like ordering a soup where u gotta pay extra for the bowl and spoon....and each time u order something new u gotta pay a huge amount for a new table!!!

I use Mcaffe and it also detected the virus before I even downloaded it.
    =

Norton detected the file before i saved it, but if i made it myself and ran the program, nothing is detected !!!

Originally posted here by ChrisWuk
    Norton detected the file before i saved it, but if i made it myself and ran the program, nothing is detected !!!
    Therefore i have been telling people that Norton is not so good after all.So far,if you create it yourself is still the best way of testing it.